Woot! I just got on Ravelry! My screen name is divamaglia. There's nothing up yet (when I say I just got on, I mean like, fifteen minutes ago), but I'm so excited! More ways to waste my time... After cruising around for a few minutes, my brain is full. Folks, I think I've found a new time-waster at work. :)
Both my swap partners received their latest packages without incident, and they apparently like them, too! My SP pal must remain secret, of course, but you can visit my Knit One Tea Too pal's blog here. The dishcloth patterns were really cute--I got them from Knitting Pattern Central, of course. :) I haven't heard from my K1T2 spoiler yet, but I should hear back in a few days. (Getting excited.)
I have finished the mystery gift--it really took longer than I thought--and will be casting on for something new this evening at rehearsal. I'm thinking about making a stockinette/reverse stockinette Moebius cowl for my brother BJ...I guess I can give it to someone else if it's not manly enough.
So I am singing Flora in La traviata. It's a fun role dramatically (professional party girl, circa 1700 Paris), but vocally it's kinda suckage. I spend two-thirds of the time singing chorus parts with the sopranos, and the other third doubling the tenors. I'd rather this were the other way around (I've learned to do it out of necessity--and from my soprano days--but I don't love singing quiet high notes, and have strong feelings about my ever needing to do so for anything other than mega-dramatic reasons). And my solo lines are all very fast metrically. Both of these facts--tessitura and tempo--lead me to believe that this role would be much better suited for a lyric mezzo than for my big ol' honkin' voice. Elephant in a tutu, just like I told Alex. I can sing fast and high, I just can't do it all the time. This is why I don't sing soprano anymore, dig? Realistically, I know I don't have much reason to complain. Verdi on my resume can only be a good thing, and this is a short role with a comparatively large dramatic presence--plus I do love being onstage. Even if my dress is REALLY scratchy and makes me look like a lilac marshmallow. Sounds like a bridesmaid dress, doesn't it?
Which reminds me: Cathy's wedding is in less than three weeks! I am so totally excited! It's going to be wonderful. I will try to call you tomorrow, unless you're too busy with finalizing menus and collecting presents. :)
6 comments:
Well, your K1T2 swap package is on the way. I can't wait to hear if you like it!
Welcome to Ravelry!
Welcome on Ravelry - you'll quickly realize that time flies when you're having fun there!
Oh, and I *adore* La Traviata!
Lilac marshmallow... *snort*
Have fun on Ravelry! I'd add you as a friend, but then you'd know who I am.
Your SP
I was kicking myself a couple of days after the Jeopardy appearance that I'd missed it.
YAY RAVELRY!!!!
Post a Comment