The house-hunting has been, well, going. I guess I'm getting a little frustrated. We found a cute older brick house (sing the song! do it!) in a good neighborhood that met all our needs, and then we found out the utilities are $300 a month (my parents' house is half that, and they have a hot tub). There was one other house we liked a lot which was newer, but it doesn't have a dining room so we'd need to sacrifice that. We do like to entertain, and feel like we ought to have one, but the house does have a killer brand-new kitchen, and a decent-sized eat-in area; maybe we don't really need it. As I orginally expected, most of the houses in our price range are either cute but too small or not private, or private but older (and apparently not energy efficient). We have only seen ten houses, so it's probably too soon to get too frustrated yet. We are seeing four more tonight, and hopefully there will be another good one to choose from. We really don't want to push our price any higher than we have to...
I finally finished my Fountain Pen Shawl last week, but I still need Mark to take pictures. Then I even finished my mystery project--so it was time to start something new. Because it's July, I thought a wool cardigan would be perfect (/irony). I have a dozen or more on my Ravelry queue at any given time, and I decided it was time for this Wavy Lace Cardigan. There are only four projects on Ravelry, including mine--I presume this is because there's no project photo. Maybe I can be an ambassador for this poor neglected pattern. I decided to add a LOT of shaping in the body (the pattern doesn't have any), so I changed the side ribbing a bit, and added eight stitches to the largest size so I'd have an inch or so of ease. It's kind of a stretchy sweater, so that may have been a really good idea. I am 3/4 of the way to the underarm, and am using Lion Brand Fishermen's Wool in Natural--an underrated yarn, I think. I may even have a picture of this next week.
2 comments:
remember that good insulation can really cut down on those utility bills! we have a big ol' house and had new insulation put into a lot of places in the house. the insulation process itself wasn't all that expensive, and we did some extra in walls we were opening up for other reasons. location and structure are really the only things that i'd consider deal-breakers in finding a house, so if you find one you love, remember all the things you can do afterward to make it just right :)
Good luck with the househunting. It will be worth taking your time in the long run, I'm sure.
Post a Comment