Down some Wikipedia rabbit hole the other day, I was reading about the very underrated Joe Jackson. I hadn't remembered that he wrote "Real Men", which Tori Amos awesomely covered on Strange Little Girls. (Fun fact: that album dropped on 9/11/01. Hence the song "I Can't See New York" on her next album--she was in the air to promote the album release.) But the original! It is so good! And the video is soooo weird, even for an '80s video.
Gee, a pop song about questioning one's sexuality. I wonder why this wasn't a big hit record in 1983... Would any mainstream radio station even have played this?? And I can't imagine seeing this on MTV at the time, along with unchallenging fare like Journey and Phil Collins. (I was an intermittent early MTV viewer, though I was a little young--my aunts really liked it. "Ceci n'est pas un pipe...")
No comments:
Post a Comment