I really need to be more diligent about updating. I really haven't had that much opportunity to post, honestly, but still. Anyway, the audition went extremely well--I don't have enough time to get into the details of it right now--and the hurricane did indeed miss Sarasota, though some of the sewers were flooded. It's a really cool city, in case you haven't been there, but I'm sure it's way too expensive to vacation there in the busy season (winter). The day after my audition I woke up with a sore palate and immediately knew I had dodged a huge bullet. The head cold which followed made me miserable for four days and hacking my lungs out for the next three. (Product plug: did you know you can get guaifenesin--active ingredient in Robitussin--in time-release tablet form over-the-counter? Perfect for someone like me, who can't keep that vile liquid down long enough to digest any of it...) Today, lesson day, was the first time since last Wednesday that I sang for longer than three minutes--and even then it was just to assess the progress of/recovery from the cold. But everything went okay this morning. I'm working on one new piece--a Britten aria which sits surprisingly well--and reviving my SOB Barber aria because one of the apprentice programs is doing Vanessa. The latter is so much easier to sing now--still no walk in the park, but it's amazing to think my technique has improved that much in the six months since I've even thought about looking at that thing. Oh, and speaking of hard music, Gianni Schicchi is quite a bugger! I forgot how challenging it was to memorize ensemble music, and that's all this is. And there's this one trio where I have the middle part--all crazy intervals while the other singers move in octaves around me. Well, I'm up to the challenge. Tomorrow morning I'm getting measured for my costume; the opera's being updated from its original setting (13th century) to the late 1940s. That sould make for a really cool costume, at least. Oh, and speaking of getting measured, I'm finally going to buy my wedding dress (and get measured for it) today. My mother will have to give the credit card number over the phone, but it's apparently no big deal. I guess waiting for David's Bridal to have a sale has paid off! I'll be asking again about the bridesmaid dresses, by the way--almost time to get your butts to the store, ladies!--And my mother and I met briefly with a florist last week; next time Mark and I are down there, we'll spend a little more time. Mark is in Michigan right now, by the way. I have the whole house to myself, all weekend. Perfect environment for me to finish the last Dark Tower book, which I got from the library this week! It's so incredible. Say what you want about Stephen King, but the man can tell a story...
No comments:
Post a Comment