I know I promised there'd be no more talk about the curse, but I finally got to the doctor and was diagnosed with this. I'd been doing a little research so I kind of suspected it. I have to go on the pill and stuff, no big deal. I was tested for insulin resistance this morning, so maybe I'll have to do some sort of low-carb shit. This I am not happy about. There's nothing really wrong with my diet--portion size, perhaps, and I could cut down on sugar a bit--but we eat pretty well-balanced meals, with plenty of vegetables and everything. They also tested my thyroid. I should find out more on Monday. In any case, it's a total relief to know that gaining twenty-off pounds of abdominal fat is because of hormones, not because I've been wallowing in lard...
In happier news, Mark and I went to Pittsburgh last week for our friends' wedding. It was beautiful, and we had a great time in Pittsburgh. We even got to go to IKEA--the first time for both of us. We bought placemats and pasta bowls and glasses (to replace the cobalt blue ones I bought for him that he finds "unappetizing") and other things we really didn't need--but all at very good prices. We did manage to escape without a china cabinet, which we're starting to shop around for.
By the way, congratulations on your new laptop, Cathy--sounds like you have your hands full. We're going to try to get one in a few weeks (the state has a tax-free weekend once a year before school starts, which includes computers), though we'll probably get a Dell. ("Dude!")
And duh, Helen's moving into her NEW HOUSE! That is the most exciting news. How do you always manage to move in the dead of summer, and always while you're pregnant? ;D No, that was just the last time. I hope you have lots of help from strapping young men and women, who are content to lug all your boxes and keep the girls occupied while you recline six inches from your new air conditioner and are served Rocky Road and fresh-squeezed lemonade by Orlando Bloom. Every pregnant woman's summer fantasy? You tell me. :)
In less-pleasant news, my audition two weeks ago (the 30th) did not go as well as planned. I finally had the scary aria in check--I finally figured out the trick to make it work. I chatted with the auditioners, half of whom knew me already. The recitative went REALLY well--nuanced, dramatically genuine, floaty high A--then the aria started. The accompanist--who I've worked with before in shows--started a little slow, so I tried to speed her up, oversinging in the process. There went the aria. I lost my confidence to get through the freakishly long phrases, and that was it. It didn't go horribly, but I haven't sung that poorly in an audition in eighteen months. All my new technical tricks went out the window in exchange for tense CRAP. So I wasn't pleased. At least this experience was in front of people who know and like me, and want me to do well. And because they trust me implicitly (so say my singer friends) they may take a chance on me with the role anyway. The other thing is, after further research into the roles available for apprentices to cover at Sarasota this season, I don't think I'm going to sing for them in October. There's nothing for me to do! Plus my teacher and I have discussed that I really need to start doing competitions--there are quite a few, most notably the Metropolitan Opera competition which I have never sung for (shock!). And I really need to get myself out there. At this point I need to be heard by the most people possible. In any case, not doing Sarasota would free up my winter to do lots of competitions and auditions--and, notably, sing in the local company's winter show, for which the female role is PERFECT for me. (Plus I'm not scared of the aria at all...) So the other day (at marketing-savvy fellow soprano's suggestion), I e-mailed opera company X's president (who loves me, plus we have similar taste in wine) to let him know that I was now very available for winter productions, being particularly interested in the one show. They haven't made any decisions yet, so we'll see what happens. Wish me luck either way...
1 comment:
Thanks for the shout-out! At this point, I'd take Orlando's help in clearing the mess off my office floor. He wouldn't even have to feed me ice cream or anything.
Wait, what am I talking about? Of course he would...
:)
And as for why I end up pregnant and disassembling my house in the middle of the summer, the question has certainly been asked, but nobody knows the answer...
So, you don't sound too upset about the PCOS- I guess it's the kind of thing that's not too bad and easy to control? Sending healing vibes to your uterus!!! :)
Post a Comment