I have like a dozen phone calls to make, and still some music to learn, but all I can do is sit transfixed in front of the Weather Channel, knitting furiously (as furiously as I can, in any case). The CBS Evening News made me tear up before. I cannot fathom what those people are going through. It's incomprehensible. What can I say about it? Nothing. And doesn't Jennifer K. from high school live there? I hope she's okay.
Two other newsworthy events:
1. We saw John Edwards coming out of the grocery store on Saturday. He supposedly moved to Chapel Hill, but maybe not yet. He was wearing a green T-shirt and shorts, and was with an older woman I didn't get a good look at.
2. North Carolina passed a state lottery today. I'm ambivalent about the lottery in general, but I'm just glad the last three years of talking about it are finally over...
And a Happy Belated Birthday to Helen! Sorry, I was in Weather Channel world.
4 comments:
I was wondering about Jen K. too. I hope she's safe... I'm sure she was smart enough to evacuate.
Certainly. I saw some people on the news, sitting on their front porch while their house was surrounded with water. A reporter going by in a boat asked them if they needed to leave, but they shook their heads. They were not going anywhere, it was obvious. I couldn't believe it...
Thanks for the birthday wishes. Yeah, I heard that people actually DIED in this hurricane, and maybe I'm naive, but didn't they know about it in advance? Not that I'm blaming them, by any means, but wouldn't you just LEAVE? It's so sad.
People die all the time in hurricanes, even in tropical storms--you just can't count on which tree is going to fall or which roof is going to blow away. But with mandatory evacuations (which aren't really mandatory, it just means stay at your own risk, MORON, we're not going to be able to help you until after the storm), you'd think people would have wised up. Not so much.
Post a Comment