Wednesday, December 14

This post has been cannibalized from an email to my voice teacher (with names and locations changed to protect the innocent), as I thought you all might want to know how my auditions went:
_____________________________________________

To save time in my next lesson, whenever it may be, here's a quick summary of how the auditions went:

[Midwestern summer program]: They only heard one aria from everyone (four-minute slots!). I sang "Voi lo sapete", they said "very impressive", done. I'm trying to take it positively.

[Southern resident program]: [Artistic Director, who I sang for in October in a masterclass) recognized me right away. I started with "Voi lo sapete" [which he suggested, in lieu of the aria I sing for Upstate NY audition #1, which is too damn high], he smiled and said, "Now isn't that SO much easier to sing?", I said oh, yeah. Then he asked for ALL of "Mi tradi". I tried to really vary the emotions on the verses, which I think worked out well. I took an extra breath on the last page but I don't think it was detrimental. He asked me where else I had auditions, then I left. The pianist I hired was quite good--very intuitive and had a good feel for vocal music.

[Midwestern resident program]: They don't let you choose your first aria, but they asked for "Dich, theure Halle" [Wagner] so I was pleased. (Though at 10:30 in the morning...yuck) Then the sneaky guy asked for "Mi tradi" [coloratura Mozart aria--totally different to sing than the first aria]--and for me to start right on the aria. Mean! But it actually went pretty well--I just concentrated really hard on finding a smaller focus [singer-ese]. I was kind of proud of myself there.

[Upstate NY summer program #1]: Sang "Stridono lassu". It really does feel a little high and relentless. But I think it went okay. (By the way, this was on Friday. There was a big snowstorm and it took me 2 1/2 hours to drive to the train station over six inches of snow--nothing was plowed. It was a NIGHTMARE. I'm glad I was actually able to sing at all after that.)

[Upstate NY summer program #2]: The pianist I had arranged for this audition called me Friday morning deathly ill, so I had to take my chances with the pianist they provided. Luckily he was someone I already knew ([person involved with YAP I did last winter]), and the moment I saw him I figured everything would be fine. I started with "Voi lo sapete", and they seemed to like it. Then they asked me to start with the middle section of "Do not utter a word". Vocally it went quite well, though I think I could've been more specific dramatically. Unfortunately I forgot to drop my friend Brad's name, which might have helped me. I hear they're making calls already--we'll see.

I did make goals for the auditions, per [aforementioned Artistic Director], which were to notice what my shoulders were doing and to anticipate musical changes dramatically. I think I accomplished these, for the most part. --Also, I was able to coach with [great vocal coach] while I was up there, and I have some feedback from the coaching which I can tell you about in my lesson.
____________________________________________

There, now wasn't that scintillating? While others are home-birthing ten-pound babies in a bathtub with no anesthesia (!), I am taking two-hour train trips to sing for five minutes for a chance to sing in the chorus of a few operas this summer. (I also had a harrowing experience the evening of the snowstorm and the two auditions--getting stuck behind an accident on I-84 for almost three hours with the engine turned off (I almost ran out of gas!), freezing, finally finding a way off the interstate at one A.M., but this is all I will reveal. I really don't want to talk about it.)

And a final note: met Cathy's boyfriend Saturday. He has my seal of approval. :) Email me if you want more information.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now that I've seen the full rundown, sounds like your auditions were all pretty darn awesome! Way to go! And I'm so glad you got through that snowy mess without winding up on one of those Discovery Channel survivor shows, and were able to come see me... thanks again for the visit!

Love,
Cathy