
Some fun green Rowan yarn, hot cocoa mix, some chocolate and a Pick Up Sticks! Sushi Wallet Kit. My SP must be psychic, since I've loved that kit since the minute I saw it (on Knitty?) but I don't think I told anybody about it. I do love the felting--in fact I'm working on a felted project for my spoilee. It's going in the washing machine this afternoon...
In other news, Mark has accepted a job right here in the metro area--all I can say is that he'll be affiliated with a very prestigious local university--and we're both very excited. There will be an adjustment period as he moves out of journalism and into life as a private citizen (now he can pick a political party, for instance), and the first couple of months will involve long hours, but I doubt they'll be longer than what he does now. It's a really positive change, and it's been a long time coming, so I really couldn't be happier for him.
His first day at the new job (all-day orientation--fun) is the same day as my first audition of the season, and I'll be up in New York all week. This will probably be my last year auditioning for so-called young artist programs--I'm on the older side for them now, and larger voices tend not to be selected for them anyway (unless they're men--men can flub notes in auditions and still get hired sometimes!). I applied for a few YAPs and competitions, and also sent my materials to a handful of companies for mainstage auditions. I've only heard back from the early ones so far, but in the next few weeks I'll have more information.
In day job news, I interviewed for a teaching position at a music school last week--a good friend of mine teaches there, and she gave me a heads-up that they were looking for a new teacher. I would like to get back into teaching (and it pays really well!), but it's also kind of daunting...it's quite a bit of responsibility, and while I know I can do it I just wonder what I'd do with a twelve-year-old in an HOUR-LONG voice lesson. I had half-hour or forty-five minute lessons in high school, and there's a reason for that. Anyway, I haven't heard back yet, which probably means I didn't get the job. Things are getting a little interesting at the office anyway, since an entire journal is being handed off to me. It's more responsibility, mainly because it's a very new journal and the marketing infrastructure isn't there yet--so submissions don't come in as often as we'd like. Plus the editor is at best 1000 miles away (when he's not in Europe), so there's all these little organizational things that I'll need to stay on top of. I'm still not planning on upping my hours--and I don't think I'll have to, at this point--but teaching would mean working a minimum at the office, and eventually leaving altogether.
Anyway, that's what's news here. (Though I neglected to mention that it is officially COLD here now. WTF?)
2 comments:
Yay! I'm glad you liked it. I must admit that there was a high level of coveting going on over here when I received it in the mail and if I didn't have such a HUGE stash, was very tempted to order one for myself.
Your SP
FUN FUN FUN!
Post a Comment