Friday, January 18

Would you believe it if I said the reason I haven't blogged in two weeks is because I've been waiting to get a daytime picture of our new car? It's actually true. I have been crazy busy, but not that busy...

I've been working on my Mr. Greenjeans cardigan, but it looks so boring right now that it doesn't merit a photograph. I have a few little things for in-laws in the works (which I'm not thrilled about, since my BIL basically placed an order on the answering machine like I'm some sort of damn sweatshop, but I'm trying not to be bitchy about it because he probably didn't mean anything by it), and I'm partly into my second Zokni, but right now I'm working on a stocking cap for myself--our house is drafty enough that I need to wear a hat when I sleep. (In North Carolina.) It looks pretty damn awesome, if I say so myself. I'm alternating narrow black stripes with wider stripes from a "crazy ball" of acrylic scraps I've been putting together for a while. I love the total randomness, and will post a picture as soon as I finish. One of these days I'll make an afghan like this--I did see a kit for an Old Shale afghan in a LYS that was made up of all different colors and types of fibers, but it cost about $100. Whatever, like I can't do that myself.

Not much else to report, really. I have had five outreach performances over the last two weeks, and at this point it looks like I have at least one every week through the beginning of April. The pay is pretty good, so I can't complain too much. (Except about the one Wednesday, when I had to be up at 5:30 AM in order to sing high B's at 9 AM. That is not cool on multiple levels. Luckily we only have two more early performances scheduled.) Also, I made chicken stock the other day, and I think it actually came out tasting more like chicken than water. It only takes six hours on the stove! (Why do all the cookbooks say it takes two hours, when that is so woefully inadequate?)

As for the weekend: tonight we're having dinner with the always awesome Rebecca and Fritz, and tomorrow Mark is volunteering at a conference all morning, but other than that we'll probably lay low. A snowstorm is predicted, and if that weren't bad enough all three local ACC teams have home basketball games tomorrow. It's The Perfect Storm, on multiple levels. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate college sports? Well, I think they're the effing stupidest thing ever. And I really live in the wrong metro area to espouse that opinion...

Before I sign off, a little health update: since switching BC pills I'm feeling so much better. I haven't had a migraine (or really even a headache) since then, my blood pressure is back to its regular levels, and I really feel like my system is getting back to a relatively normal place. My skin isn't as clear as it was on the other pill, but that's a minor price to pay. So hooray!

And everybody wish my grandpa a happy birthday! He turns 79 today. Hopefully my grandmother won't steal the hat I made for him the way she stole the socks I made him for Christmas...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, when it comes to stock, I always err on the side of more -- more time on the stove and more stuff in the pot. If you wind up with something that's TOO thick and flavorful (and I've had that happen; the stuff turns into Jell-O in the fridge), you can always water it down and get twice as much soup.

Also: Happy birthday Grandpa!

NH Knitting Mama said...

Congrats! Sounds like good things are happening!

Anonymous said...

Too drafty in North Carolina? Do you live in a tent? The stocking cap sounds really cute - can't wait to see a pic.

Nik said...

My friend Manny asked me to make him that hat about two years ago. Bought the yarn, but never got around to it. Um, I think that I should get started on it. I just printed out the pattern.

Oh, and I know of some little kids who need jobs. Let me know when you're planning to get that sweatshop up and running.

Anonymous said...

Tag, your it! Rules on my blog.