This is an incredibly stupid article. Um, I didn't know wearing jeans and T-shirts made you look like a lesbian. (I didn't know lesbians "looked" a certain way, in fact.) And I was unaware of the existence of literal Fashion Police, who before now would issue tickets to women who weren't in dresses and hose and full eye makeup. Seriously...is this article from ten years ago?? I like that they interviewed Moe from jezebel.com, but isn't that kind of meta and strange? Here's some words from her about it. The whole thing is just weird to me...
I finished the Drops cardigan last night...and it's huge. Why did I think that an A-line sweater would make me look anything but pregnant?? I have a 13-inch difference between my bust and waist. Seriously, how did I think it would be flattering? It does look quite nice from the bust up, but below that it's just ginormous. I'm still weighing my options about it. I may just wear it as is for the next month--after which I won't need it for six months, so I'll have plenty of time to decide whether I want to do something drastic (like cut the back below the armholes, reknit it with some serious shaping and graft it back to the main piece; or maybe an enormous steek down the whole back) or something awful (frog the whole damn thing except the sleeves--weeks of work--and start from scratch with a more body-conscious sweater shape)... I'm leaning toward drastic right now. We'll see how I feel in September.
The audition went fine (I should hear pretty soon), and I sang very well at the competition, I thought, but I didn't place--the judges were really looking for artsong-types, artsong not being a priority for me right now, plus judging by their resumes they probably don't know a big voice from the back of their butt. But on the bright side, Charlottesville, Va. is a really cute town, with a fun downtown mall and several LYS's (I bought some adorable Happy Feet for a souvenir). And while we ran out of time to tour the house, the grounds of Monticello are very pretty (as are the views). We also did some wine tasting, and Mark bought a bottle of some interesting Chardonnay.
Speaking of wine, despite my Portuguese ancestry, until recently I'd never had port. But when we were at Trader Joe's a few weeks ago, there was an inexpensive bottle so we decided to try it. I like it quite a bit. It does taste a lot like my grandfather's wine--which is also fortified, and they both use burgundy grapes, I guess. But do I like it because I'm genetically predisposed to like it, or just because I like fruity wine?
Bring on the Manischewitz Concord Grape, I say. =)
Edited to add: I always thought Arthur C. Clarke would outlive all of us... I hope he's out there hanging with the Star-Child.
3 comments:
How cool! We keep talking about making it down to Va. wine country, one of these weekends.
This was First Colony Winery...their reds were kind of gross ("smoky", i.e. Mark said they tasted like Spam), but the whites and dessert wines were OK.
You should go, though!
Well, you can't beat a yarn buyig trip. I'm glad youl ike port. I could never aquire a taste for it. It just seems to churn in my tummy.
Post a Comment