Friday, August 8

Feh. I have not been managing my time very well lately. I've been really busy, but I still feel like I don't get anything done.

Finally got in to see a PT--apparently my problem is a very weak right rotator cuff. My back has been doing all the work for it, and those "spasms" I get may just be spraining and re-spraining my first rib. Isn't that lovely... Instead of the fun, deep-tissue massage/E-stim regimen I was expecting, I get to play with hand weights, which are actually making my back more sore. I don't see the PT again until next Thursday. Not particularly happy with where this is going...

In other health news, at my annual this week the GYN decided to put me back on the old BC (Yasmin), with the rationale that if it were to cause migraines it would've happened within two weeks, not three months. (See my posts from last November and December.) This BC (Ortho-Cyclen) is really not cutting the mustard. I had lost five pounds of Lupron weight in the twelve weeks I was on the Yasmin last fall, and on the Ortho-Cyclen I've gained it back, plus the other PCOS symptoms are peeking through (irritability and acne and facial hair, oh my!)--all of which the Yasmin took care of pretty damn well. I have to wait a few weeks to go back on, since I'm probably recording next week and don't have a week to wait out a period, but I'm looking forward to trying again.

Last Friday we (read: Mark) wanted to camp out overnight at a local state park. I was unenthusiastic, but he really wanted to go--despite the fact that it was 95 degrees out. Mark ended up with mild heat exhaustion and spent several hours sleeping in the car. I got 45 minutes of sleep all night and had a panic attack after being left alone in a tent without a flashlight at least a quarter of a mile from another human being for three hours. The only thing that saved me was my MP3 player...how lame, but it distracted me from my irrational compulsive thoughts about raccoon attacks/serial killers with hooks for hands. Mark felt guilty, but it was my choice to stay with the tent. Lessons learned:
1. Stay together.
2. Bring a pillow, and use more padding than a vellux blanket.
3. Buy a fricking LANTERN.
4. Tylenol PM.
5. You may need more water than you think, especially if your husband gets overheated and drinks all your water.
6. Don't let Mark convince you to camp out in the summer in North Carolina.
7. Worst case scenario: bring an extra AA battery, in case the MP3 player dies.

And what was queued up on my MP3 player? Flight of the Conchords. It was perfect distraction music. Oh, and look at this. Viral marketing that's actually funny. Jemaine, how I love you so.

Oh, we also went to DC two weekends ago. Yummy Lebanese food with Cathy and Mike Saturday. Sunday was marred by bad planning/friends without cell phones, which resulted in a 45-minute forced march around several of the national galleries in incredibly hot and soupy weather. It really sucked. But our lunch was good, and we got to play with a baby. Sunday night we saw my aunt, who currently has a very interesting job I'm probably not supposed to talk about, and Monday we bought yarn, then I spent several hours waiting for Mark to finish the Jeopardy! audition. He says it went well, and that they talked about me a bit. Oh, then we went to IKEA after battling rush-hour traffic. We only bought plastic cutting boards and some jam, but picked up a bunch of stuff for our friends. We got home close to 1 A.M., which wasn't fun but we made it back...

Knitting? Well, I finished the Hourglass Eyelet Socks--having worked on them at the Juan Valdez Cafe on Eye Street, interestingly enough--and started working on these for Mark.



The yarn is Cascade Heritage, which I bought at Stitch DC. It was too soft and pretty for me not to cast on right away. I've also started yet another project with the infamous kettle-dyed fiber festival cotton--and it's from Drops. I've had a less-than-stellar record with their patterns (cf. the 103-1 jacket, in all its titanic proportions), but I have higher hopes for this.



I modified it to be top-down, added waist shaping, and am using size 4 needles for gauge--and opacity. I'm also twisting the purls every other row until I'm done with the bust--less than half an inch now! This is incredibly tedious. I think it'll be cute when I'm done, but it's boring the hell out of me. So much that I've been impelled to cast on for a holiday present and a Swiffer cover in the past two days. No work on the lace lately, sad to say--I've just been a little distracted.

I will sign off, but I have a complaint: I have heard "Stairway to Heaven" on the radio at least five times in the past two weeks. And usually on my way to work--and my commute is under 20 minutes! What is the deal? It used to be special to hear "Stairway"...now it may as well be a Fleetwood Mac song or something. I'm a bit disappointed.

No comments: