Friday, March 13

I've been living in Frogland lately... First there was the Lisa Frank sock yarn (which is Plymouth Happy Feet, by the way), for which I found an appropriate pattern on the fifth try... Then I was all gung ho for the Sweet Tee from the new Interweave Knits. I thought it would be a perfect three-season sweater in Cotton-Ease. My gauge seemed okay, so I cast on. Miles of garter stitch later, it was clearly way too big. After playing around a bit more, I realized that the yarn had a lot more elasticity than I thought. It would've taken a little math and a huge leap of faith to make the sweater fit. So what to do with 1000 yards of Cotton-Ease? I'm making St. James instead. Very cute, very Sweater Girl, plus it was in my Ravelry queue already. I'm about halfway down the interminable yoke. (Why so many stockinette patterns lately? My brain is melting out my ears. I need to make a lace shawl, ASAP.)

Then there's my lovely Big Kureyon. I frogged my Versatility--it didn't fit right as a cardigan, shrugs look nasty on me, and I don't need another big wrap--and looked far and wide for a vest pattern that would work. I started with Heartening, because it is adorable; I changed the gauge, but I realized 2/3 of the way through that I wasn't going to have enough yarn. So I switched to this asymmetrical vest, which I was planning to elongate after also changing the gauge; my attempt came out more fugly than funky, so that got frogged as well. Now I've moved on to Askew, which I added to my Ravelry queue very soon after getting my invite--with a note saying I could make it with the Big Kureyon after changing the gauge and adding shaping. Both of which are pretty simply done, considering the entire thing is three rectangles (two mitered, one not) with straps. It's a pretty ingenious design for Noro, since it helps avoid the evil horizontal stripes. I've finished the two fronts, and the back should be fast; I won't know how well it fits until it's blocked (you're supposed to block the hell out of it), but it sure does look pretty. Noro, how I love thee. It's not even that scratchy; I don't know what people complain about. That, and it holds up surprisingly well to frogging. You wouldn't think... I do hope this is the last time in a while I have to do so much gauge-changing. The disappointment is not good for my soul...

Not much else going on here. It's been cold and raining for three days straight (Binghamton weather, if you are at all familiar with my alma mater). Last Wednesday it was 80 degrees. By Friday it was 40. Ugh, when will spring stay put?!

3 comments:

Cathy said...

Speaking of our alma mater... you've seen this, right?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/story/600362.html

This means I may actually have to watch the sports on my television-machine.

Jennifer said...

You do know where I live, and who my husband's employer is... It would be painful to watch some good Colonial (I mean BearCat) frat boys have their asses handed to them, but I may have to tune in myself.

Anonymous said...

One of my friends is going to be totally torn, too -- a Duke fan since high school AND a SUNY-B alum. I, however, have no completing loyalties, except to my usual sports-apathy. :)