Thursday, June 10

I think I may have a David Tennant problem... I got a cold over Memorial Day weekend and spent the majority of three days on the couch, watching DVDs and Netflix. (We bought a used Wii a few weeks ago--lots of fun!--and are using the Netflix hookup in a huge way.) So after last year's BBC Hamlet broadcast (great), several episodes of Season Two of New Who, and the last three specials from last year (recently on DVD)...whoa. Bleeding into my real life in a probably unhealthy way. I can blame some of it on all the Benadryl, and on some weird hormonal stuff, but seriously. He may have supplanted Uncle Keith as my fake boyfriend. He's certainly more age-appropriate. Not really my type, of course, but can you really control these things?

Anyway...the less we dwell on that the better! Not too too much going on here. I ran out of Malabrigo for my shawl, and may resort to begging on Ravelry for someone's leftover 5 grams. I finished my Tomato and my purse-project socks (no photos yet, because I've been lazy), and am now working on another sweater (Emmaline from the last Knitty) with yarn I bought in New York, and another pair of socks (plain ones for Mark out of leftovers) are in my purse. I also started an adorable cross-stitch pattern from Mochimochi Land, which kept me entertained when I was too sick to plan out short rows for the Tomato.

Oh, wait--I do have a picture I can show:


Cathy's birthday present! The pattern is here, but I ended up using someone else's edited chart because the original didn't make a lot of sense, plus I decided to improv a border pattern. I love these colors! I took the picture sitting on my lovely screened-in porch. Unfortunately it will be too hot to use it after about 10 A.M. for the next few months...

Other news...well, the recital's still happening. I was only able to start practicing again yesterday--I was really swollen from the cold, and I had NO endurance at all. I'll have my first practice with my pianist next week. I have all but one piece learned (minus the duets, which are still up in the air). We're also trying to plan a vacation for July, but are having trouble with the budget (airfare is insane right now!). Other than that, things are the same here.

4 comments:

Cathy said...

I love love love my birthday shawl!

David Tennant is very cute. But yeah. not your type at all really. Good for you for branching out. :-)

A screened-in porch is so nice to have, especially in the winter, when it can become the auxiliary fridge or freezer. You can cool down big pots of stock without heating up your actual fridge!

Jennifer said...

I am very glad you like it! I'm finding it hard to think about shawls right now, since it's so hot here...

I have a picture of David Tennant in a tuxedo as my wallpaper at work, and even my supervisor was like, "Ooh, who is THAT?" LOL

I hadn't thought of using the porch that way...that would be good for tomato sauce.

Knitty Aunt-Did said...

I just wanted to let you know that I left you a comment with a question about your Knit steering wheel cover on that post. I figured you wouldn't see it, so I thought I'd mention it here. If you can help me out I'd really appreciate it!

By the way, that shawl is amazing!

Jennifer said...

Thanks for your post! I answered it in the original blog post, but I thought I would reprint here:

Thanks for your question! Forgive me if you've done this already, but I measured for gauge with the piece stretched super tightly (5 stitches over 4 inches = 60 stitches over 48 inches). You may also want to try a looser cast-on--maybe on size 13 or 15 needles. Please let me know if this works! My car was totalled, so the original was sadly retired. :(