Tuesday, August 2

Rosina came home four weeks ago today!  It's hard to believe it's been so long.  They actually let us know it was coming up the day I last posted, but it wasn't really sure until the next day...and then it happened really quickly.  The first few days were as challenging as expected, and I was a little concerned about how I would handle having here here all day by myself, but it's going well.  (Though now I have a cold, and am trying really hard not to pass it along to her...I'm starting to feel better, and so far, so good.)  She only wakes up once to eat between midnight and sunrise--and that feeding is mine, since I don't have anywhere to be in the morning--which is great considering that she's still small.  The cloth diapering is going well so far, too. Preemies are developmentally hybrids, apparently, with the eating, sleeping and some immune functions usually following their actual age, and most of the other stuff (vision, motor coordination) corresponding to their corrected age (i.e. due date) for a year or more.  She's really not bad to have around, honestly!  The car seat picture is from her car seat test at the hospital, and this other one is from earlier today:


Huge, I know...  ;)  She's gained about two pounds in the last month!  (Unfortunately the milk factory is closed... I just couldn't keep it going, despite everything we tried.  Preemie formula is expensive, but it seems to be working, LOL.)  Anyway, lest you think this is becoming a baby blog, I created a photo site for Rosina hereif you're interested.  One of the things that's changed in the past month (like my sleep patterns!) is that I have learned to knit while holding a baby!  It's amazing what we can accomplish out of necessity.  I'm not sure I would try it with dpns or straight needles, but circs seem to work just fine.  Look, I even finished a pair of socks!

I started these the day we got back from the baby shower, worked a few rounds while I was in the hospital, and carried them with me as my purse project the whole time Rosina was in the NICU.  I was usually so intent on her that I didn't work on them at the hospital, but by the end I spent a little time on them by her crib.  The majority was done over the past month, during which I learned how to wield an Addi Turbo Lace circ while holding a newborn!  The basic construction is from Hat Heel, with the lace pattern from Kai-Mei on the leg.  I think I've gotten the Hat Heel construction out of my system now...  I started a more boring pair of socks for Mark out of some deep stash, and am nearly done with the blue cabled scarf--pictures when it's done.

And now, to feed a tiny ogre... But here are some links I've been holding onto for a while.

*I have been watching a LOT of Star Trek: The Next Generation since it went onto NetFlix Watch Instantly. You learn a lot watching the series in order.  For one thing, they sure do have a lot of sex up in there.  It's like The Love Boat sometimes.  Also, Wesley Crusher doesn't bother me so much anymore.  Speaking of which, this blog (and this post in particular) has rocked my world.

* This is a cute shirt.

This video is pretty awesome.  Speaking of which, AF has now come back (boo!), so I should call my doctor about that.


1 comment:

Cathy said...

Oh lord, I haven't even watched that Star Trek series and I still thought that Tumblr post was freakin' *hilarious*.