Monday, August 17

Songs of Summer

Things I am hearing on the radio with way more frequency than if left to chance:

•Guns N' Roses in general, "November Rain" in particular
•"We Will Rock You" (not that I'm complaining, but it's not even a big sports season)
•The Cure
"Rich Girl", but that may be selection bias since it was the #1 song the week I was born
•"Margaritaville", which actually makes sense. Parenthetically, my tolerance for Jimmy Buffett has improved over the years. I'm not ready to join the Conch Republic, though.
•Waaaay too much Red Hot Chili Peppers. Sorry, I burned out on them more than a decade ago. Decent live show, though, as you'd expect.

Something I want to hear more often--just love this guy's voice forever:



Rosina is off for three weeks before starting preschool again. A five-day program! 🙀 It does mean more free time for me--time I should spend practicing, and actually getting in a few lessons this fall--and another hour at the office every week. Plus it will be so good for her little growing brain. It unfortunately means she can't take dance with her previous teacher, since her evening classes are on the wrong side of town if I feel like avoiding a traffic hellscape, and they also interfere with her nap. We may sign her up for tae kwon do next month, which is a bit later in the afternoon.

Speaking of which, one of our other anticipated schedule changes for the fall is that I have suspended my belly dance classes for the time being. I'm not very happy about it, but a few months ago I decided to crunch the numbers, and for the price of one month of belly dance classes, we can get TWO monthly gym memberships. This revelation coincided with my original teacher going into semi-retirement. Her classes were taken over by one of her former students who teaches in the next town over, and while she is good, she seems to have a really big upper-body focus, which would be great if I didn't have a bulging disc that makes shoulder shimmies and some other arm moves only occasionally tolerable, not an all-the-time thing. Seriously, I'll try any hip moves you can throw at me, and have a good chance of success--but my neck says  No, Thank You after about ten seconds of shoulder shimmies. (That and it always seems a bit embarrassing with my bust size.) Anyway, I'm taking a break, and we already have a gym in mind--very close, with childcare and classes of interest--we just need to find the opportunity for a visit, and figure out whether we can get a better deal without using Mark's company discount.


No comments: