Friday, May 27

So turns out the girl I was supposed to be covering didn't really want the role in the first place (she's mad, by the way. At six-two and buxom she's not going to be singing Carmen--at least not in this country, where appearance matters much and she'll be at least six inches taller than all the tenors. Sidebar), so I myself am singing the Mrs. Kravitz-inspiring character mezzo role. And having a good time with it, I might add. Our first performance (open dress rehearsal) was last night. This production has been rife with complications--numerous principals backing out at the last minute, injuries, delays getting on the set and acquiring props, a director (who I know from a previous gig which shall remain nameless) who's good at his job but can be prickly... But all in all it's been a good experience. Hell, I just like being on stage. And supposedly I'm being heavily considered for a huge role in the company's fall show. (Still have to audition, of course--still have to get through the SCARY second aria, which looks so easy on paper but is full of peril...) More details when it gets closer--I don't think they're even having auditions until early August. So things are good.

Married life is fine, by the way. We've both been a little grumpy lately--I've been sleeping poorly, and having rehearsal every night means we don't get to see each other in the evening, so things can get a little tense sometimes. Nothing a little fresh homemade strawberry frozen yogurt can't fix!

Oh, and before I forget--we saw Revenge of the Sith last Saturday night. There were some truly awesome moments. I think if you go in with the proper expectations--e.g. the dialogue is going to suck--it can be a thrilling experience. Mark read somewhere that the screenplay was heavily edited by Tom Stoppard. Comments?

p.s. I've put up some pictures from Florida on my singer site--but I haven't linked to the page or labeled them yet, plus I want to double-check with the people in them that it's okay. But Giulietta and Butterfly are definitely staying up!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVED Revenge of the Sith -- surprisingly deep, you know? And Hayden Christensen is totally hot for at least the first half (while he's still conflicted and not yet completely evil).

Speaking of your Web site, I still have to e-mail you those graphics I made long, long ago, before Florida and the wedding. Do you still want that design?