It was kind of cavalier of me to drop that bomb in my previous two posts, then not blog for weeks... There were the holidays (fine), then a quick show (very small role, but I got to perform with the state symphony, which was definitely worth it), then a competition last Saturday--plus I've been working more hours lately.
As for the competition: this is a famous national competition that I'd never done before. In fact, one of the reasons I didn't audition to go back to Florida is that I felt it important to sing in this. Somehow I got my hopes up that I would win something, despite the fact that they rarely choose anyone over 25. (They're morons, by the way--most of the people they choose can't cut it at that level because they're too damn young.) At least I was hoping for some useful feedback from the judges; not much of that either. In fact, one of the judges told me I had the beginnings of a wobble because of lousy breathing and that I needed to take care of it immediately if I had any desire to continue singing. Um, no, I don't have a wobble, asshole, and any vibrato problems I have (just below the passaggio, I know) are resonance issues, not breathing issues. He made me really mad. The other judges were more positive, but their criticism was stuff I'd already heard before: do more dramatically (I really need dramatic coachings--good luck in this state!), watch below the passaggio... So it seems kind of like a big-ass waste of time. I was, however, able to make at least two connections with opera companies in the state who seem eager to meet with me. And honestly, that's a lot more important in the long run than winning some competition. I think.
Anyway, as far as the previous posts: things are a bit better, but... I don't know, I just haven't felt like myself for months. Tired all the time (even when I can sleep), very moody, bored as hell at work--not to mention barely able to make it through the day blood sugar-wise (at least that's what I think it is), insane back and shoulder tension. I keep dwelling on uncomfortable things (see last post). My stomach goes nuts every time I have to sing--I can't even look at food, and have to dose myself with Imodium and Gas-X two days in advance. I'm even starting to get headaches, which I've never had a problem with before. Who knows what the hell is wrong with me now... I have a doctor's appointment in two weeks, thankfully, so I need to remember to write down everything. I don't know if it's just because of the medication (I think not), or if I need to be on anti-anxiety medication... I do research on the computer, but there's so much conflicting information out there, plus I know not to trust much of it.
And believe me, I know I don't have much to complain about. It just shouldn't be so hard for me to get through the day, you know?
In happier news, I have finally finished a sweater I've been working on for Mark--only after redoing one of the arms three times because it kept coming out eight inches too long. Turns out I was making that one correctly, and the sleeve that fit had a mistake in it. He doesn't have crazy short arms or anything--just weird. Also, I got a really good haircut the other day.
1 comment:
So glad you're back! I've been out of it lately, too, from being so nasty-sick.
Another thing about the previous posts: The fact that you're still so eaten up about this is PROOF of what a solid-gold, good woman you are. Your friends knew that all along, but make sure that YOU know it, too. You absolutely have to forgive yourself -- if you can't, or you're not ready (I know how that can be), at least allow yourself to set the weight of this down, and turn to look forward. The future is a clean slate. You're an amazingly wonderful person with the loving husband you deserve.
Love,
Cathy
Post a Comment