Wednesday, March 15

sSo the show goes up on Friday (with a high-school audience for tomorrow’s dress rehearsal), and I will be happy when it’s over. This production has been nothing but aggravation for me. To fill in: I’m understudying the female lead in this short opera, and I promised the heads of the company that I would sing in the chorus because the music’s crazy hard and I’d performed it in Florida last year. After the first chorus rehearsal I decided the music was just too high for me (it was a year ago, too, but I was getting paid to sing it-big difference), and I called the artistic director to let him know I couldn’t do it. Well, two chorus rehearsals later it became clear that they needed me, for the sake of the show. So I said I would do it, as long as I could take it easy with the high stuff during rehearsals. It has been a painful experience. Most of the chorus is new to the company (apparently new to opera as well) and they’re not the best musicians or too quick at learning music. Even as of last night the musical entrances are still not there. I feel like I’m carrying the whole thing--not leastly because everybody keeps telling me that I’m carrying the whole thing. It’s quite stressful.

Add to that the frustration of being an understudy. I’ve never actually done it before now, and I’m really just doing it to put on my resume and because I really like the show (my voice is a little big for it, though I could certainly perform it). So day in and day out, during musical and staging rehearsals, I’ve been on the sidelines, taking copious notes and doing what I can to help. Both of the leads are nice girls, but (a) I doubt they’ll be heard over the small orchestra in the small auditorium, and (b) they both have some technical problems. Oh, and the one girl still doesn’t know all her words, let alone what they actually mean. Yeah, that makes me feel great about being the understudy. Even when I knew I’d have almost no chance of singing the role, I made sure I knew all the music by the first rehearsal. This is just something you do as a professional. You really need to be off book by the first rehearsal-and if not, then certainly by the time you do any staging. How are you supposed to learn staging if you’re still carrying around your score and don’t know what you’re singing about?!

And I do know that I’m appreciated, it’s not that. At a marathon chorus rehearsal this Saturday, I got to sing the end of the opera-this cool, dramatic screaming part--about seven times for the chorus to learn their parts there. Everyone liked it-the director especially (who I know well from Figaro last fall). So at least I’m respected...

Anyway, I’m getting off my little soapbox. Friday night after opening the director and the costume designer and I are going out for a few drinks. I need it!

No comments: