Wednesday, May 30

So I woke up this morning with swollen cords--from a combination of eating weird and acidic foods yesterday, my multivitamin and the fluoride rinse I used last night. Hooray for uneven onset! Anyway, I'm home from work today, on a diet of milk, toast and apples. And it kind of throws my schedule off, because I was supposed to have tomorrow off to practice but now I'm not going to do any actual singing for the next few days. Grrrrr...

I have learned a few things today, though:

1. Did you know that Mischa Barton and Lindsay Lohan have the same publicist? (Apparently she's a busy lady today.) And I don't know what to do with this awful knowledge, except to share it with you all.

2. I should not watch DIY Network on my days off. Suddenly I want to make my own greeting cards with stamps and pretty paper. And make tiny vases out of old silver-plated knife handles. Seriously, it is a bad thing for me. I have enough trouble staying on task without being tempted to make lamps out of melted Mardi Gras beads... At least I can rest easy knowing I will never be interested in scrapbooking. Well, at least not until I have kids.

But speaking of craftiness, look what Grandmama made me!


It came in the mail on Saturday, unheralded (!), with a note saying she'd been working on it since FEBRUARY (!!) and that it was for our queen-sized bed (!!!). The woman is a crochet dynamo! Here's a closeup of one of the roses:


It's really lovely. She did make it with a very scratchy Red Heart-ish acrylic, but putting it through the wash (with many dryer sheets) has helped. I need to introduce the lady to Caron Simply Soft! :)


And there's one sleeve done on the tank. It's a basic feather-and-fan pattern--I sewed the side seam and picked up the armhole stitches, but am working it as if flat so it'll be open on the top. (With dpns, since they were on hand--which is not very fun since there are forty-ish stitches on each one. It's not portable, either--so I started a WW2 scarf over the weekend.) I doubled the picked-up stitches with YO's (except in the underarm, where nobody will see it anyway), so each sleeve is nearly 200 stitches around. It took me several days to finish that first sleeve--but I tried it on once I finished it and I'm pretty pleased with the results! Before I did the side seams it seemed like it had turned out too high-cut, but I think it's going to be just perfect (fingers crossed).

The weekend was relatively uneventful--save a phone call from Helen (!!!!) and an X-rated conversation with R. about various marital aids. Also, Mark and I saw The Waitress, which was really good. We discussed how Jeremy Sisto may be getting typecast into playing psychopaths...but then I looked him up on IMDB. Yeah, we'd forgotten about that little TV movie he made with Debra Messing where he plays Jesus...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My gosh, this afghan looks absolutely awesome - what a wonderful gift this is, certainly something to treasure forever! And I love how your tank is coming along, this is going to be a winner for sure - great pattern, beautiful color.... yes, I'm looking forward to seeing more of it!
I hope you're feeling better by now - sending over lots of well wishes across the ocean!