
The pattern is here, but I did have to modify it a little. I have a very small head, and the 72-sc round called for in the pattern was WAY too big for me. I ended up frogging back to 64 sc, and then decreasing another 10 sc after the crossed row. Then I crocheted the brim as written. It doesn't really look like a bucket hat on me, but it is pretty cute. It hasn't been very hot yet here, and I'm not sure how useful it will be once it hits 90 degrees because of the cotton content (the yarn is Red Heart Casual Cot'n, which I like quite a bit but it's disappeared in stores here--had to buy it off another Raveler) but I'm going to give it a shot.
In other fiber news, the Pomatomi (?) are almost finished--just have to finish the toe on the second sock and weave in ends--and I've started something new. Remember last year when I was looking all over for a "sexy aran sweater" (aka contradiction in terms)? This was the winning pattern. I'm using some navy tweed yarn from a Goodwill-purchased Gap sweater; it's fingering weight (I'm holding it double) and 70% wool, with some cotton and a bit of synthetics for the tweedy bits. If for some reason I run out of yarn (suckage) the yarn is quite feltable, or I could make socks from it. As others have done, I'm knitting the sweater in the round from the bottom, and will split off at the sleeves. I'm also adding a few inches in length, some waist shaping and just a bit of ribbing on the sides. I hope this works...
We had a fabulous time at Kings Dominion. We rode the rollercoaster that shoots you out of a volcano. It was pretty awesome. It was really nice to see everyone. On Sunday we drove down Monument Avenue in Richmond (where I gave the finger to the Jefferson Davis statue, and called him a traitor--fun was had by all) and went to The Yarn Lounge. Look at the yarn Mark picked out for himself.

Seriously. It has bamboo in it. Very soft. But seriously? Hand-dyed red socks, with his navy suit and cordovan shoes? Does he think he's Elvis Costello with those red socks? LOL
I'm becoming more Zen about the whole casting issue...the main reason I've been disappointed is because it was clear that they had me in mind for that part when they planned the season. Cavalleria has very specific vocal demands, and requires some less-common voice types--smaller companies basically have to have a cast in mind before scheduling it. Anyway, it's all good.
This weekend is full of outdoor fun for us. Our friend Amanda (who introduced us!) is in town today, so we'll have dinner with her. Tomorrow we're going to a fiber festival (!) and an Earth Day festival, and Sunday is our long-awaited planting day, after which we may hit a few stops on a local farm tour. Also, I have to make Herman bread. My mother gave me some Amish Friendship Bread starter (aka Bread Ponzi scheme!) about a month ago, but the quickbread it made was way too sweet for us (and vanilla pudding? seriously, I may as well make Duncan Hines). Plus I was kind of miffed that the starter is apparently just for taste, not for leavening--you add baking soda and baking powder in the recipe, which basically kills the yeast. So I went on an internet mission, trying to find a recipe for bread that actually used the starter (Herman) as leavening. Voila! And it makes some yummy bread, which is suitable for sandwiches if you go easy on the sugar. I can't place my hands on the link at the moment, but I'll post it when I find it.
2 comments:
That sweater is going to be cute on you.
Sounds like lots of good knitting is going on with you!
Glad you're well.
Post a Comment