So much going on...what to blog about first?
The Charlotte trip was really great. If you look closely, you can see me on the Yarn Harlot's blog here: I'm on the left side of the second picture, holding up my right arm with the Pomatomus on it. She was hilarious, and totally adorable. And that sweater is absolutely gorgeous in person. When I went up to meet her and have her sign my book, she asked if the Pomatomus was my first sock. I said, "Oh, GOD, no!" and laughed, then she said, "Good, because then I'd have to kill you." So a good time was had by all, and I met a bunch of fun Charlotte-area knitters.
Oh, yeah, my birthday was last Saturday and I didn’t even mention it. Happy Birthday to Me… I did the corniest thing for lunch that day: we went to TGI Friday’s so we could try the Food Network Ultimate Recipe Showdown recipes. I ordered a chipotle steak sandwich (yum, fried plantains!) and a not very mojito-ish mojito. Somehow it leaked out that it was my birthday, so the downtrodden, flair-laden Friday’s waitstaff came over for a military chant-like birthday greeting. It was straight outta Office Space, seriously. (Have I become an irony-obsessed slacker?) Anyway, then we went to the jewelry store, where we picked out some charms for my opera bracelet (Mark was supposed to be getting me a charm for every role I sing, but he got a little behind--voila, my birthday present). We generally chilled for most of the day, then had more authentic Chinese with Rebecca and Fritz. Damn good authentic Chinese. If you’ve never had sautéed snow pea shoots, run don’t walk. Anyway, it was a pretty low-key day.
Speaking of roles, I have finally heard back about my audition last month. I will be singing Mercedes in Carmen in the fall--the lower-voiced of Carmen’s two girlfriends, and generally just a fun little role in a rather popular opera--which is the better news. Apparently they were very torn about casting Santuzza in Cavalleria rusticana--the role I really wanted--but they’ve decided to cast me as Mamma Lucia and have me cover Santuzza. Now, Mamma Lucia is a good role--not too much singing, but lots of stage time--but I’m still kind of disappointed. They said they really loved my audition, and that it was a tough choice...I’m really hoping they just chose to cast a soprano or something, so I can’t take it personally. And truth be told, if the Santuzza were to drop out, it would not be the first time a principal had to back out of a contract with this company. So I might even end up singing the role anyway, who knows? But it is a minor setback. I haven’t sung a lead role since October 2005. Sure, I’ve had a major voice type change since then--and to a fach that offers very few lead roles, truthfully, from one that was all leads--but I just don’t want casting types to look at my resume and think I’m stalled. Which is yet another reason I need to branch out to more companies locally (and actually make a decent recording, which is an easier fix). Unfortunately the last time I tried that it didn’t work out very well, but it’s not my fault that the company is going through some reorganization right now (I’ll leave it at that). So anyway, I need to do that. Of course, one of the ways I’m doing that is by coaching Santuzza with an artistic director... And there are several roles I was planning to look at over the summer, which will be good for coaching with someone. (Though I doubt I’ll bother with Marcellina from Figaro--not much to tinker with there.)
All this introspection on the heels of my last Hansel and Gretel performance of the season this week. I did actually like doing it, if not the early mornings and extreme time drain. I will seriously limit my availability if asked to participate again next season. Actually, that performance was my last one lined up until October. (There’s this other tentative thing, but I don’t know if it’s happening. And I was supposed to sing at a reception for this erotic art festival--I know! kinda weird--but the venue backed out so it’s been cancelled.) There is an Italian restaurant in town that’s interested in my doing a little concert--that might be cute, but maybe I should actually, y’know, do one for money. We’ll see...
No more business talk! Kings Dominion tomorrow! Rollercoasters until I lose my lunch! I don't think I'll be taking a sock picture, though. =)
No comments:
Post a Comment