Tuesday, January 6

Still no pictures! Mark is dragging his butt. I will get on him tonight about it. So, without further ado, crazy New York items:

*Two really good auditions! One of which I think could even be promising! I may never hear anything, but I'm happy to have done my best.

*I waited for Mark, my brother and his fiancee for nearly an hour at Rockefeller Center, right across the street from the tree. It was twenty degrees, so I was not happy. It was too cold to knit. I spent the time scoping out the crowd for a tall, handsome man dressed like a capofamiglia, but no dice. (He was off that week.) I also would've been quite happy to see Tina Fey.

*I had to shovel. I hate shoveling.

*I lost my cute beret on my first trip into Manhattan (I made another this weekend), so the next day I wore my crazy hood-scarf thing. Okay, not only do I now feel it looks foolish, but it did not keep me warm at ALL. Compared to the beret and little neckwarmer the day before. The secret is wool. Acrylic does a half-assed job keeping you warm!! I never really believed this before, but now I know. Case in point: when I took off the orange hood and wrapped myself in my flimsy pashmina, I was instantly warmer! Still not warm, but it was pretty windy that day. Anyway, I am now a total wool convert. Natural fibers only for me, from now on!

*My husband's nephews are antisocial and weird. Okay, the two-year-old is in a biting, "mine mine mine" phase, which is to be expected, but the five-year-old is cutting girls' hair in school, barely acknowledges his brother's existence except to steal whatever toy he has, is kind of a terror in general... I do hope he grows out of this. And that our children don't act like this. I will leave them at the orphanage, I swear. My brothers and I were NOT like this. We definitely fought--and I'm sure our parents wanted to drop us off on the side of the highway on several occasions--but we also played together all the time. And nobody ever cut anybody's hair, ever.

*Speaking of child development, my only first cousin is now a senior in high school, and possibly a Unabomber-in-training himself. Got interested in girls less than a year ago, has NO interest in college--wouldn't a normal 17-year-old be itching to go out on his own? My uncle is basically filling out applications for him. I will be interested to see how this turns out.

*In happier family news, Jeff's fiancee L. has invited me to be an attendant. I'll get to match other people and everything! :) And she has good (usually expensive) taste, so prospects are good that I won't look like an enormous eggplant.

*Oh, hey, and I got to see my friend Michele from college, who I hadn't seen in more than nine years, I think. We had a great time--took up right where we left off. Facebook comes through in the end...

4 comments:

Lauria said...

But your "scood" is so cute!!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your audition!

Actually, I'm about to start preprodcution as a stage manager / company manager on an opera! This'll be my first opera gig, so keep your fingers crossed for me, too! :D

Those kids do sound a little weird. Although, I did definitely cut hair. But I can't remember if it was mine or my sisters. It might have been hers, but with her consent... hahaha. I don't think my mom was too happy whenever we took chunks out of our bangs.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the audition outcomes! And I totally agree with you about the wool - my mum used to go on and on about wearing wool in the winter- turns out she was right (about that anyway!)

Helen said...

Hmmm, the two year old sounds pretty normal, but cutting kids' hair in school doesn't sound so good... And yeah, kids fight, but if they only fight... What are the parents like??

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you had a good audition! And I learned only recently that Keith Olbermann is like 6'4". Great, now I have to have a crush on him too. :)

I remember Jeff wishing you "happy birthday, butthead" when you turned 11 or 12. Pretty standard stuff. No hairdo mutilation though.