Submitted for your approval:
Yesterday I got an e-mail at about 2:30 from the receptionist, asking if I could postpone my lunch an hour so she could go at 12. (The other CSR and I each usually cover ½ an hour of her lunch, which is from 1-2pm.) Generally this wouldn’t be a problem, but I’m on this diet where if I don’t eat every few hours I get light-headed (especially in the morning). But I figured she must have a good reason for needing to go early, so I wrote back, “I guess so...” Fifteen minutes later she responds, thanking me and saying that “next time hopefully someone else can cover the phones so we can all go.” Go where? What was going on? Turns out she had asked everybody else in my department to go out to lunch, and asked ME to cover her lunch. How incredibly tacky is that? Or am I just being a bitch about this?
There’s more to the story, though. As mentioned below, I have been working for the same company for over six months, but am still a temp. I started here on April 30th, and was supposed to become a permanent employee three months later, but because of the faltering economy my company made a deal with the temp agency. I was given a 50-cent raise, a pat on the back, and the reassurance that I’ll get on the payroll real soon, if I just “hang in there”. Well, three months have passed, and I’m still hanging. When I asked my supervisor (who is very cool—the kind of boss who you can talk to about anything—plus she’s crazy) about it maybe six weeks ago, she said that the matter would be taken care of when the president of the company (who lives in Germany) came to visit, and reassured me that my position in the office was secure. Well, the president has been here for over a week, and still no word. Apparently something is going to happen next week...but as you can imagine, it’s been kind of difficult. It’s stressful not knowing for sure that your job is secure. Plus I really need health insurance! Anyway, this all adds up to me being paranoid all the time at work that my next typographical error will be grounds for dismissal. And I feel like a second-class citizen here because of my status. So maybe I was just overreacting to what happened yesterday. But I still feel like a doormat. And I’m sick of it!!
Sorry, needed to vent.
In other news: I have two concerts tomorrow, and am not looking forward to the eight hours I’ll have to put in rehearsing and decorating and performing, all so old people can enjoy some showtunes... Yay me.
No comments:
Post a Comment