Monday, October 28

Well, I spent fifteen minutes doing this earlier, but for some reason it didn't post. I have no idea why. Anyway, here I go again...


The Friday Five (on Monday)


1. What is your favorite scary movie?
Kubrick's The Shining. I also like The Sixth Sense and Jacob's Ladder (though I don't know if that one counts). The movies I think are scariest are IT (I know this was a TV movie, but it's terrifying) and anything with Freddy Krueger in it.

2. What is your favorite Halloween treat?
Candy corn in a pinch, but anything chocolate and/or peanut butter. Except those fake M&Ms. Gross!

3. Do you dress up for Halloween? If so, describe your best Halloween costume.
I usually do something (even if it's just dressing irregularly). My most famous costume (probably because I talked about it the most before and after) was the Disheveled Catholic School Girl of 1998. I was at my most svelte at the time (ah, the Baby Tee years...) and was truly enthusiastic about my very, very short pleated plaid skirt from Rave. And the costume is rather well documented in pictures from Helen's famous Halloween party. I got very drunk and proceeded to lay on the carpet for several minutes just because "it's comfortable here". If you look at the pictures you can follow the chronology judging by my state of inebriation. Those were carefree days...

4. Do you enjoy going to haunted houses or other spooky events?
I used to, but now I have too many nightmares.

5. Will you dress up for Halloween this year?
I don't know yet, but if I do it will be as Liu from Puccini's Turandot--I bought a kimono at a thrift store last month (tags still on!), so all I need is heavy makeup and a dagger...

Anyway...I had a good long weekend. Thursday I went to Raleigh and had dinner with some reporters, and Friday we went into Wilmington and I went to the wedding rehearsal. The wedding Saturday was really beautiful--Amanda and Darrell wrote their own vows and did their own readings, and there were few dry eyes in the church. We had fun at the reception, but a bunch of people were asking Mark and I when we were going to get married, which made us both kind of uncomfortable. As y'all know, we have discussed marriage, and we will eventually do so, but right now we're in different cities and different parts of our career, so it's just not practical. Plus it would be logistically complicated even if we were living in the same city. So anyway, that was kind of weird. I appreciate any thoughts on this... I mean, I know that it's just customary for people to ask that--and once we're married, they'll start in on, "So when are you going to start a family?" and stuff. It never ends! But it still made me uncomfortable...

No comments: