Friday, April 4

Back so soon?! I've decided I don't need to go to this master class--that it's more important right now for me to:

1. GO OUTSIDE (it's over 80 degrees!);
2. Finish straightening up my apartment (as my parents will be arriving tomorrow)--mostly I mean putting away the laundry;
3. Work on my opera paper--the final copy is due next Friday, and I want to have something ready for my teacher to look at before it's time to turn it in;
4. Pay my rent, and complain to the office staff about people parking illegally in the fire lane (I'm such a bitch!);
5. Listen to some music (I've been in a Sarah MacLachlan mood lately);
6. Take a nap (more on that later);
7. Get ready for my BIRTHDAY (though I am far too old to be excited by such temporal things).

I know I've been a blogging slackass lately, but I really haven't been spending much time in the library lately. But I have worked out three days in a row (go me!)--Wednesday and today I went to the campus gym with Vanessa (at 6 A.M.!), and yesterday I started the BodyFlex program. You know, the one with the slightly creepy bleached-blonde fifty-something lady named Greer? Before you say I've succumbed to QVC quackery, let me at least say that Vanessa has done really well with it. And it's exercise nevertheless, and I didn't spend any money (just borrowed V.'s book), so no loss. On Monday I plan to go to my first Overeaters Anonymous meeting (I haven't been able to go because of my rehearsals)--wish me luck. Maybe I'm actually getting a grip on my life. That feels pretty good, I guess.

I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do about this summer, though. I found out last week that grad students don't get financial aid for the summer session unless they register for three graduate-level credits. The class I was planning to take (Fundamentals of Acting!) is a 100-level course. I basically need to take a class, otherwise I can't afford to pay my rent! So I'm going to see if I can get independent-study music credit for the class--maybe I'd need to write a little paper or something. It's worth a shot, in any case. If not, I'll probably work half the day at my permanent job and try to get a temp part-time job for half the day. I'm not sure how well that's going to work out, considering I still really want to do that summer program in Minneapolis. I'm probably going to cash in my ancient savings bonds for that venture--I've been saving them for something special, and I'd say this program would qualify.

Cathy: I found out yesterday that Joan Sutherland--{ahem} Dame Joan Sutherland is about 6'3". I never knew that before. She's pretty damn cool--and is older than my grandfather.

In other opera news: Merry Wives is going well. We're having a good time--except that the costumes are too hot and I have to spend ten minutes crouching on stairs in a mask and hood and cape and ankle-length dress and tights. But it's only momentary discomfort--and soon after I get to take off my stage makeup, which always makes me happy. :) We have performances tonight and Sunday afternoon. We probably won't get out tonight until 11:30 or so--pictures......

No comments: