Friday, October 3

A Friday Five about cars...

1. What vehicle do you drive?

'Rolla, my 1994 Corolla. Magenta/grey.

2. How long have you had it?

She was a birthday present when I turned 23. So, three-and-a-half years.

3. What is the coolest feature on your vehicle?

The cruise control? I just have a regular tape deck, after all (I have one of those cigarette-lighter jobs if I want a CD).

4. What is the most annoying thing about your vehicle?

She's getting old, I fear. Intermittent hesitation going into fourth gear, broken casing around the steering wheel (which sometimes messes up the cruise control), some dents... Nothing major, so I really have no reason to complain.

5. If money were no object, what vehicle would you be driving right now?

One of those Toyota hybrids--even if they look like bugs, they're the wave of the future. That, or the Batmobile, but it'd be a bitch to parallel-park.

So I bought my dress for the wedding yesterday. It's a Jones New York tea-length that I got on sale for $60. It's very cute. The only problem? It's...well...do you know who Karen Walker is? I'm a martini and a sassy Guatemalan maid away from being her in this dress. It is VERY lowcut. I had to buy a new bra just so it wouldn't stick out the front. Elena has suggested a lace inset--definitely an option. That day needs to be about Helen and Greg and their love, not about that girl who was popping out of her dress. So I'll figure something out.

I met with my opera director guy today to talk about summer program stuff. He had some good ideas. The good thing is, I'm not really all that freaked out by him anymore. I think I'm just able to see him more for what he is. And I don't take the hype seriously anymore. The spring auditions are the week after the wedding, and I plan on going in there just like I did for the ones last May: relatively relaxed, friendly, enthusiastic. It seemed to work last time. And I refuse to get caught up in the politics of the whole thing. I'm not a brown-noser, and I can't let the choice of opera rule the rest of my life. All I can do is my best, and be myself.

(Hopefully I'll be able to take these observations with me to the summer program auditions, but I'll probably be a nervous wreck...)

No comments: