
The cardigan is finished. Eh. I don't think it's the most flattering shape for me--especially considering how floofy this yarn is. And to think, all of that yarn retails for over $70. (Insane!!) But I do like that raglan detailing (aren't top-down raglans magical? I'm seriously in love with them), and believe it will serve its purpose well--that is, I can throw it on over a top when it's too warm for a heavy jacket. (A lot of good this will do me in July, when I'm looking forward to three-plus months more of 90-plus degree weather...but in early November, this may save my life. Or at least my wardrobe.) My original intention was to make one in black as well, but I may need to retool the pattern a bit more. (By the way, it's a fabulous pattern, and very adaptable for other sizes--I did beaucoup math to adjust it for myself, and it turned out all I needed to do was make the raglan section longer! Very cool.) I did do a bit of waist shaping, but maybe it needs more... Hell, it's probably just the extreme kawaii-ness of this yarn. If I attempt this with some boucle or plain old four-ply, I bet I'll get much more bang for my shaping buck. I did do the rib edging with regular worsted yarn, just to add a tiny bit of structure--and I used it with the Prima for the ties (which are just a very thick crochet chain).

Progress on Retro Rib Sock Part Deux. (Guess I'm in the mood for French today...) I've since turned the heel, and am working on the main body of the foot. I could get used to this sock thing, I think. I already have the next sock adventure planned--I'll be making the now world-famous Monkey Socks for my grandmother out of the ubiquitous baby-blue sport acrylic (she's diabetic, so wool's out anyway) while on yon Mystery Trip of Destiny. I specifically thought of the Monkey because, serendipitously, my kind of crappy plastic size 5 dpns are perfect for flying. I double effing DOG dare the TSA to take them from me on my first cross-country flight. They'll have to pry them from my cold, dead hands. (Sorry, the TSA's remarkably capricious treatment of knitters is like, Pet Peeve No. 2 here, just behind aggressive driving...)
The following has also just jumped onto the needles:

This is the very beginnings of a pillow for dear Helen's awesome 30th birthday, designed by myself--though an envelope-style pillow cover in stockinette is not exactly rocket science! The cool--and daunting--part of it is the intarsia pattern. Helen is part Micmaq, and the picture on the right is of a man's vest, taken at a 2005 powwow in Newfoundland (she was actually there, but I got the picture from The Interwebs). I loved the colors, and originally wanted to make a felted carpetbag with the circle pattern on it (gorgeous!), but Helen wanted something that wouldn't take as much wear. Anyway, I've just cast on, after spending quite some time working on that chart. I'm a little worried about the circles--there may be some trial and error involved. And I probably won't do the white curlicues, but I'm still thinking about it.
Whew! Well, it's time to make dinner (and wake up the sweetly napping boo), but before a sign off, a knitting meme! Though I don't know if "easygoing" fits me, bravi tutti anyway.
What kind of yarn are you?

You are Merino Wool.You are very easygoing and sweet. People like to keep you close because you are so softhearted. You love to be comfortable and warm from your head to your toes.
Take this quiz!

Quizilla
Join
Make A Quiz More Quizzes Grab Code
3 comments:
Great post! Thanks for posting the pattern on the little jacket. It's fantastic and I can't wait to make it myself!
Cool pattern! Just printed it off. Why, oh why, are there SO many great things to be knit?!?!?
Totally rocking pillow design. Can't wait to see how it turns out :-)
What a totally beautiful cardigan this is! I love this fluffy yarn that you were using, and gosh, this pattern certainly is a "Must Knit" for me too - thanks ever so much for sharing the link!
And yay for the socks - great colorway too!
Post a Comment