SP11 Questionnaire (To my spoiler: I apologize for not having this up earlier! My signup was one of the ones lost in the shuffle, so I only found out today that I'm actually participating.)
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Superwash wool, regular wool if I'm felting. I've never knit with alpaca, but I do fondle it in yarn stores when I pass by. I also have a soft spot for boucle acrylic, particularly for making scarves as gifts. Basically I'm drawn to anything soft. I don't like anything scratchy, and I'm rather allergic to angora.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have a four-drawer plastic mini-chest in which I keep patterns, (most of) my yarn, and needles/notions. Needles are in the topmost drawer.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I've been knitting for a bit over two years--I taught myself from a book, after Cathy bought me a book of knitting patterns (I'd been crocheting for about four years before that). I've done some advanced stuff, but I make way too many mistakes to call myself anything but an intermediate knitter. :)
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
It's here, but there's not much on it. I will remedy that in the next few days, if it would be helpful.
5. What's your favorite scent?
Hmmm...Sandalwood. Or lavender. Or amber (since that's apparently a scent, not just fossilized tree sap).
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I am a chocolate girl (dark as it gets!), but I know that doesn't mail well... I need to watch my sugar, so maybe candy's not such a hot idea...
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I still crochet occasionally. Once in a while I dabble in beading, Sculpey and papermaking (all at the same time! hehehheh), and I really would like to start sewing, but I'm a total dork at it.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I have pretty diverse music tastes, but I don't like modern country (anything post-1982), anything similar to Celine Dion, hardcore rap or metal, or modern pop (with some exceptions). And I probably don't need to say this, but I do like my music secular (unless I'm in church, or it's the Verdi Requiem and I'm singin' it). Oldies are generally safe with me, whatever your definition of that term is! Also, please no classical, since I'm an opera singer and that's "work music". MP3s are not a problem.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
I love kelly green, purple and red--vivid colors and jewel tones are my friends. Fluorescents are not my friends.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Married to the wonderful boo, no kids, no pets (though I covet other people's dogs).
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I wear scarves and mittens. Hats are problematic because my hair gets static-y. Also, I live in the South, so I don't exactly need a wardrobe of woolens...
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Scarves for gifts, sweaters for myself (I am forever on the quest for the perfect Sweater Girl sweater that will flatter my buxom-ness). And now that I've finally broken down and made some socks, I think I love socks. :) (Gaah!)
13. What are you knitting right now?
A Turkish Rib scarf as a Christmas gift for a yet-undecided recipient, and Reduce Reuse Recycle from the May '07 MagKnits. And I think I need to start Hermione's Cable and Bobble Hat from Charmed Knits very soon--also a holiday gift.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Yes, especially things like stationery, soaps, candles, beaded items...ooh, and low-sugar homemade preserves are always welcomed. :)
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I like circulars, but I also like dpns. I'm actually not in love with bamboo--the friction was great when I was just learning, but now it's just a drag, literally. Other than that, as long as they're relatively light, I could go with either aluminum or plastic.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I do not own either, but honestly I prefer to wind my own pull skeins. There's something kind of Zen about it.
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
I am way too results-driven to keep UFOs around for too long...the only one I have is the RRR bag, and I only stopped working on it because I ran out of bags. Now I'm dragging my feet a bit because cutting up all of those bags is torture for my hands. But I will finish it within a week, I suppose.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas. December has always been my favorite month--and I usually have to spend at least some time in Manhattan, which is so much fun in December as long as it doesn't get icky weather-wise.
19. Is there anything that you collect?
LPs! Particularly Wagner and Verdi full operas, and the older the better. (And I know it's work-related, but there still is nothing like finding some great recording for a dollar at a thrift store!)
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I've had my eye on Fitted Knits for a while, and I would like to get a subscription to Interweave Knits, but I get almost everything gratis off the Internet, honestly. I did see some gorgeous handpainted Malabrigo and Rio de la Plata yarn the other day...but you know, I have two hanks of incredible Big Kureyon that my SIL got me for Christmas in 2005 that I have done nothing but cuddle--I need to get over the "this yarn is too nice for me to use, my crappy knitting skills are not good enough for the pretty yarn, I should not waste this on felting" mentality, you know? But yanno, it would be fun to have some cute stitch markers, and I wonder if I'd like Knit Lites. (Are they heavy?)
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
One of these days I'll knit a toe-up sock, just to see if I like it. And it'd be nice to learn some really polished finishing techniques...
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I am a new sock knitter. I wear a size 8 1/2 women's shoe--but please don't make me any socks! I only ever wear socks with sneakers. (As mentioned, I live in the South, and go completely sockless seven months out of the year--and the other five I wear knee-highs.)
23. When is your birthday?
April 5.
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?
I waited too long to sign up...there are way too many people in front of me now. Sadness.
1 comment:
Just swinging by to say hi... I'm looking forward to spoiling you for the next 3 months!
Post a Comment