Tuesday, December 9

The other night we had hockey tickets, and they were giving away Christmas ornaments. I got one of the 20 signed ornaments in the arena! And it was signed by this man, Tuomo Ruutu:



Pretty, hmm? There's a reason so many ladies were wearing his sweater at the game. (Also, I don't understand this commercial. It's like a Mentos commercial, minus the plot. Do Europeans laugh at our commercials, I wonder? I doubt it, since they're mostly stupid and/or about boobs.)

I frogged the sock I was working on for Mark--you had to pick up the heel flap stitches in such a way that the cables looked continuous, and I just couldn't get it to look right. So I'm making these. (Have fun reading Finnish! I think the pattern's only available on Ravelry.) Here was my progress Sunday:


Yet another absolutely awful photo, courtesy of yours truly! These are really fun, and surprisingly quick. It's basically a 3x1 rib, with cables every 4 or 6 rows. I'm working on the heel flap now.

I just realized I've made two completely unrelated references to Finland. Does that mean I have to like lutefisk? Mark's mother had two cousins (brothers) who both married unrelated Finnish exchange students. When we were in Colorado for Christmas in 2003, we visited one of the couples in Breckenridge (they live there full-time, so they're only kind of rich). Indeed, there were various dried/jellied fish items served. Luckily our very sweet Finnish hostess (whose name escapes me) understood that she'd probably be the only person enjoying them. I think I did try something, and it was very salty and fishy. I'm no fan of my own cultural touchstone, bacalhau--and it at least looks appetizing, like a little super-salty fried fish doughnut--so it's understandable that these delicacies wouldn't appeal to me...

Speaking of Portuguese food, I've been meaning to pick up some linguica (and I always buy this brand, for reasons that would be clear to some of you)... Mark doesn't like it, ostensibly because the sausage bleeds orange paprika-colored oil when you bite or cut it. But it actually works really well on pizza, or in spaghetti sauce, and the carnage is not noticeable in these applications. I am much looking forward to the Portuguese food extravaganza that is staying at my grandmother's house.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Ooo...I bet my husband would love that sausage! His family is Hungarian, and anything containing paprika is good for him. We get Hungarian sausage made by a local meat shop. My husband's best friend happens to now be engaged to the daughter of the owners. He was so happy to have a "connection" to get the sausage! After King of the Hill, I don't think I could ever try lutefisk!