Thursday, February 11

I now own a pullover.


And it only took a week! If only I could get away with wearing bulky yarn on a regular basis. The sleeves took a bit of fiddling, and I do wish they were a bit longer, but generally good.

I also finished that shawl I was working on:


In the end the spinning FAIL (way too many slubby bits for a fingering-weight yarn) is trumped by the damn beauty of the colors. I still probably won't buy it again, though--well, maybe I'll try the Silk Garden Sock. ;)

So guess what I'm working on now? Because I am a glutton for punishment?? This. You may recall that there was some drama regarding this pattern back in the spring of 2008--I made it in black Patons (what I used for that cardigan last month, incidentally), and it fit perfectly in the arms and from the bust up, but was just entirely the wrong shape. If my bust is the widest part of my torso north of my hips BY FAR, why ever would I make something that flared out from my bust?? Duh. Anyway, I'm making it again--with the Fisherman's Wool from my frogged Oblique (still sad about that!), in one piece to the underarms and with a whole bunch of shaping. The only snag is that I've had to plan out the buttonholes in advance; I have five planned (one completed so far), evenly spaced up the torso. It will be a huge pain in the ass if I have to move them later, so I do hope it works...

And in recital news: last night I sent my first choice in dates to my friend over at the college, and hopefully one of them will work. We're aiming for late March--and if we can't make that work, it will either need to be on a weeknight (not ideal, since my parents wanted to come) or all the way in the fall. Fingers crossed! The music is mostly learned, and there are just a few pieces to decide on. Dare I say it, this may actually be an enjoyable experience. How novel.

Before I forget: if you like girls with acoustic guitars, and don't mind some profanity, you may love Garfunkel and Oates. They are my new favorite. This one's actually relatively safe for work, provided you can let the word "bitch" slide by:


No offense to NORMAL pregnant women, of course...

Last item: we're having a housewarming party! I am excited. Yesterday I even emptied the last box in the spare bedroom--it is so wonderful to have those built-in shelves...

No comments: