Thursday, June 6

Strike that, reverse it

*The audition went fine.  My high As weren't 100 percent, but they weren't awful, either.  The auditioners were all very nice, and the pianist was fine (though I probably should've confirmed my tempos!  some were a bit sloooow...).  Most of the singers there were quite young.  It is motivating me to get my act together, in any case.  My website has been languishing "Under Construction" for a while now, and I really need to take care of that before our trip next week.  I also need to email Carla and Marion about lessons--hopefully their summers aren't so busy that I can't squeeze in a lesson or two in the next few months.  I would really like to figure out whether my voice is getting lower, or if I've just been a little lazy!  And there are a few local conductors I'd like to touch base with to get back on their radar for choral gigs.  Once I feel like things are settled, Mark has a lot of ideas for getting me back out there (his hospital is always looking for performers for benefits and mid-day concerts, for example).  I just need to keep moving forward!

*Because my audition was so late Tuesday, I had a hell of a time getting to sleep.  Last night was even worse--I was up until almost two, I think.  Rosina didn't get me out of bed until after ten-thirty this morning!  I guess we're both way off schedule (though in her case it's from teething--she's just had a hard time falling asleep).  I haven't had insomnia in a VERY long time...my main IBS medication causes drowsiness and I take it at night, so I definitely shouldn't have any trouble.  I'm going to stop my caffeine consumption as soon as I finish my current glass of tea, and maybe I can take a bath tonight to wind down.

*Downton Abbey!  I won't give anything away, but there's a mid-third series plot point that hits WAY too close to home (and I saw it coming).  Pretty upsetting, honestly, and Mark was sad, too.  But don't worry, I'll make it. Just a TV show! :)

*Knitting updates:  finished the gift, at long last.  The February Fitted doesn't have nearly enough negative ease, for some reason (why does this keep happening?!), but I think it will work so long as I make it longer.  I've started another gift project--a long-term one!--and I'm not sure it's headed in the right direction.  I'm taking it with me on the long car trip, so I need to figure it out in the next week!

*Working on a tricky bellydance step.  I think I've got it, but it is not coming naturally!  It's kind of hard to describe.  Also, when I watched a video from last Monday's class, I noticed that I'm doing everything in a really exaggerated way.  Maybe now that I know what I'm doing (some of the time!), I can back off on doing the widest figure 8s possible...

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Yay to getting back out there! I am excited for you. I wonder if it is possible for your voice to change/get lower after having a baby -- so much else changes with your body, it wouldn't surprise me, though I'm not the expert...

Jennifer said...

It can, but it could certainly have gotten lower on its own in the time since I've sung every day. Who knows...