In case you hadn't heard, the Marvin Gaye plagiarism case was decided the other day. I know this will probably not be the end of it, and that the fines are a drop in the bucket to these people, but I am still pissed that this was even in question. They SO OBVIOUSLY stole the bass line and rhythm from "Got to Give it Up". The parts they stole are the main reason "Blurred Lines" gets stuck in my head, despite its rapey lyrics. At least I can switch songs in my head!
In completely unrelated musical news, I read Deborah Voigt's autobiography over the weekend. It was okay, though I wish she had talked more about technique and less about her abusive relationships and addictions...her book, though! It did make it seem like she was just born with a fully-formed Wagnerian voice--which is obviously not true! I'm sure she worked her butt off. I just wish there had been more details! There was a decent amount of dish about other singers, which is always fun. My two favorite anecdotes are her description of getting groped by Bill Clinton (I KNOW) during a photo at a backstage meet-and-greet, while still at her heavier weight (OF COURSE), and the late-night phone call she got from Pavarotti to get details about her bariatric surgery. Just really damn hilarious.
Speaking of being overweight: I don't think I ever mentioned here that The Mystery of the Premature Perimenopause was solved. I will delve into more detail at some point (tomorrow?), but the short answer is: it wasn't actually perimenopause, but unpleasant side effects from my IBS medication! In the last five months, I've lost about 15 of the ~33 pounds I gained over 18 months on that stuff. I can't tell a difference yet (COME ON ALREADY!!), but I would like to be able to get back into my old capri pants by the time I can wear them!
No comments:
Post a Comment