Did you know that Margaret Cho, one of my personal heroes, has a blog? Observe the links to the left...
I am sitting in a freezing computer lab. I made an audition tape this morning--equipment drama that I will not go into. I sang okay. Rep class was promising, though--I don't usually sing that well in there, and it went rather well.
I forgot to mention that the certificate program I auditioned for liked my audition and wants me to apply officially. Huge weight off my shoulders. Now I just need to get another recommendation letter--hopefully Dr. H. will oblige me. He's a difficult person to read--I think he likes me, but I think I'm a little too wild for him. He's the kind of person that just needs to have his hair messed up, you know? To be honest, it may just be a slight cultural difference (he's British). ANYWAY, if I get into that program I will hopefully live with Elena here in town--driving forty minutes to school a day, but where else am I going to live? And she and I would have a BLAST.
On a whim, I just did a search on my blog archives to see if you could get any identifying information about me from any locations I mention. I plugged in Mark's city, my city, my school--turns out I have been lax in the past. It's not that I care about strangers being able to find me and stalk me or something. I worry more about someone I'm remotely connected to finding the site and reading it without my knowledge. I talk about shit on here, you know? The last thing I need is for one of my professors to find my site, poke around in my archives and read something nasty I said about them six months ago. Nor do I need them to know about my sex life, or the intimate details of my relationship with food, or how much I complain about stupid random stuff. The thought makes me shudder. I don't know why I'm so worried. Searching for my name won't bring up anything incriminating--the only thing that brings up my site on Google is actually entering the terms "crudele" and "blogspot". And even then it brings up a whole bunch of sites in Italian. My URL is from a random line in The Marriage of Figaro, and the name of my site is part of a quote from Debussy. Now that I've blocked out my city's name and my school in my archives, I should be okay. I think airport symbols will suffice if I find it necessary to mention my location.
Now, before you think I've gone completely black-helicopter on you, let me explain the method behind my madness: the self-marketing seminar I went to that ended last week stressed the importance of creating an official website for ourselves. You can put it on your business cards, resumes--everything, basically. It's cheap advertising, and a great way to update people as to your various appearances, etc. And you don't need to give much identifying information; anyone who needs to contact you can e-mail you, and the legitimate people can get your address and phone number. So this is something I'm going to work on (though it'll probably be May before I get to it). I guess I don't want there to be a way to link that hypothetical website with this one. Although for the news/appearances updates I'll probably use Blogger. Okay, so unless you know my Blogger name and password you couldn't link the pages. ANYWAY, maybe I am a little overly concerned. But as some of us have experienced, the anonymous Internet sometimes gets a little too familiar...
No comments:
Post a Comment