
Retro Rib from Favorite Socks, in Lion Brand Magic Stripes yarn in Sea Colors (being discontinued! must buy more for second sock!), modeled by the lovely recipient. I never thought I would make a sock--um, they do sell them really cheap--but they make a pretty simple and portable value-added project. Mark insists he will wear them--outside the house, even! He picked out the yarn--a little louder than I would've picked to go with his navy suit, but hey, they're his socks. I am taking a break from teensy needles and mini gauge for a few days--last night I started a newsboy cap from Creative Knitting with a cute bulky cotton blend, but I'm not sure how it will turn out. (I have a small head, and have had to modify yet again. Damn my small head! lol) The other project currently gracing our ottoman (it is not technically "on the needles", since I had to remove the size 10.5 circs from it to make the hat) is that cardigan:

Yes, it is novelty yarn, but more in a fuzzy, allergic-to-angora kind of way than a Fun Fur Free-For-All!! kind of way. Oh, and did I mention that despite all appearances and the 75% off sale, this yarn is indeed not being discontinued. No, it's right back to $10.99 a skein. For 82 yards. Just my luck to pick the most expensive yarn in the store, and still be about a skein short. Luckily I was able to score some really cheap on eBay. I think I need to stay away from eBay, incidentally.
Speaking of online purchases, while perusing Cathy's bridal registry I couldn't help but notice one of you jokers registered for a 99-cent bag of pretzels. Bravo, I say. We registered for a can strainer insert for $2.99 that nobody bought us, and I am still a bit miffed. (No more messy tuna hands!)
Anywhoo, when I'm not doing my Madame DeFarge** impression, and Mark isn't frittering his life away on AddictingGames.com, we have been busy with some minor social engagements, culling our collective belongings for things to donate to charity (we bought a new stereo, which meant parting with my beloved Panasonic from 1988--dual tape deck and all! I'm still in mourning), and avoiding the massive pile of clean laundry that begs to be put away. (Nothing to see here.) He has some job stuff on the horizon, but we've been at it long enough that I refuse to get my hopes up until something concrete comes his way.
**Any theories on how Madame DeFarge knitted those names into her neverending afghan/tapestry? My vote is for illusion knitting--intarsia would've been too obvious, I would think. Unless she used some sort of numerological code: L-U-C-I-E could've been k12-p21-k3-p9-k5. Or maybe the number of rows of a certain color corresponded with certain letters? Wow. You'd think I had nothing else to think about. Maybe I could make all my holiday scarves using this idea. Ooh, fun! Obviously the large iced coffee I had this afternoon has actually fueled my creative side.
Oh, and in case you thought I wasn't dreaming anymore, here's two recent ones that perhaps offer huge insight into my psyche:
1. Futuristic-yet-Edwardian setting, co-starring a widower (played by Cary Elwes--yes, almost all of my dreams progress like movies, to the point where I am even aware of it within the dream) who works with my (film) husband and for my (film) father-in-law. Having started a new job as a schoolteacher in some city, I am forced by unspeakable traffic to spend the night at his house with his children. Sexual tension becomes apparent. Widower professes undying love for schoolteacher, but is tortured because he can't act on his feelings. Schoolteacher says she is in a loveless marriage. Dream ends before anything interesting happens.
2. Attending a high-school sponsored all-night graduation party, I am strapped into a very heavy, aluminum-frame backpack because of my political beliefs. I sit down on bleachers in the gym next to Dr. Gregory House (the character!), he scowls, etc. A female cafeteria worker cuts off the tip of her finger, and her coworker calls out for a doctor. I berate Dr. House for not immediately running to reattach the woman's finger. He grudingly goes to reattach the finger, and I follow. At some point the cloakroom we've used as a triage room morphs into a NYC Subway car, and Dr. House proceeds to seduce me in some not-so-subtle ways. At one point I become Dr. Cameron, but before then it's unclear who I'm supposed to be.
Analysis: Jennifer watches too much television, and needs to lose her Jane Eyre obsession.
2 comments:
Awww... I remember listening to "Get the Led Out" on WPDH on that stereo.
These socks look awesome - what a great colorway, I love the color combo! Oh, dreams... man, if I began to write down my dreams, I'm afraid I'd take myself straight to the funny farm - they're *that* insane! Love yours though! ;)
Post a Comment