Speaking of crafting, today I learned that scratchy acrylic squares are great at getting water spots and soap scum off of glass shower doors. When a Magic Eraser won't work, reach for a tawashi. So yes, I cleaned the bathrooms today. I even scrubbed the grout in the shower! It did need to get done, but it was also because I was avoiding something...
Our laptop died this morning. :( My work laptop--vintage October 2012!--stopped working about two months ago, and while it was at the New York office being fixed I used our personal laptop, which is four or five years old. It was a little temperamental about the Remote Desktop sometimes, so I was glad to get the other one back a few weeks later--but it bricked again after only a few days. Our IT guy was supposed to send a reboot disk or something, but nothing really happened. Meanwhile, our home laptop was getting increasingly grumpy. I asked my manager about it a few days ago, and we reminded the IT guy about it again; he apologized and said he would look for a new laptop. Yesterday afternoon the trackball keys on our laptop stopped working. I did a system restore, since there was just a Windows update a few days ago, but it didn't fix the problem. After a few minutes of work today, the power cut out, and it wouldn't turn back on. We last backed up our files several months ago, and because we put almost all our photos onto Rosina's Shutterfly site, we won't really lose anything if we can't get it up again. Except several hundred dollars on a new laptop. We had been having some trouble with it freezing up at bad times, so maybe it's been coming for a while, but we're not happy about it.
Dude, this college kid on Wheel of Fortune just lost several thousand dollars because he didn't know how to pronounce "Achilles". Ouch. I guess business-Spanish double majors at Indiana don't have to read The Iliad. That was painful to watch... He actually won--which doesn't say much for the other contestants.
Seriously, this day calls for some tawny port.

2 comments:
I just want to say that those scrubbers you knitted for us back in 2008 are still in regular, heavy service, with no wear evident (I don't know if they're acrylic though). Sorry about your laptop -- that blows!
Those are cotton--great for just about anything, but the super rough acrylic ones are good for really tough jobs, like scrubbing cast-iron pans. If Mark didn't really like Scotch-Brite sponges, I would only use handmade scrubbies!
Post a Comment