Today I had to lead the discussion in my Opera class. I don't like doing that sort of thing (who does? and I'm used to getting up in front of people), but the professor volunteered me. Well, I didn't feel as prepared as I could have, but it went okay. But after class, when I asked people how it went, they said that the professor kept interrupting me and questioning me, and that they would've been pissed if she'd done that to them. I didn't even notice until they mentioned it. I do appreciate suggestions, but she really was second-guessing everything I did. I got this e-mail from her before, thanking me for leading the class--so what's her deal? I think she's just not really a teacher-type. I swear, I haven't learned a single thing in our "class discussions". The consensus from the people I've spoken to is that they really wanted a lecture-style class, and they didn't get it and are very disappointed. Over half the people originally registered for the class have dropped it--there's less than fifteen students there now. Two people decided to drop the class just this afternoon. It's just really disappointing. Plus she doesn't think my paper topic is substantive enough for a 15-20 page paper--while I beg to differ. So now I'm going crazy, trying to find another angle for my paper--for which a 5-page prospectus is due in two weeks. It's aggravating...
In other news: I had a good lesson, though my teacher thinks I probably won't sing Mimi anytime soon because my voice is too bright. I never knew I had a bright voice! My other teachers always said it was "chocolatey" or whatever. I just don't want to have one of those big metallic Wagnerian voices--though I guess Verdi's always an option, and you know I can cut over an orchestra. I dunno... Oh, and also, I just learned the basse danse in my dance class this evening--it's easier than the minuet, pretty much. I have a paper for that class, too...I have NO idea what to write about. At first I had wanted to write about the Shakers, but then Mark told me that they don't really dance per se. Maybe I won't start thinking about that one just yet....
No comments:
Post a Comment