Wednesday, April 9

Beat

I'm feeling better than yesterday, but it took me a while to fall asleep last night, so we are all turning in within the next few minutes. The lunch and office visit went well today--it really is a nice building, in a location near lots of retail and restaurants (a short walk to the best authentic Chinese place in town, and even a CVS 100 feet away, in case you really need Pringles and nail polish in the middle of the day), though I wish it wouldn't take driving through the worst morning traffic in town to get there. I'm pretty sure I can work out a flexible arrival time--9:15 would probably be doable. There are also several routes to ponder, since it's in the middle of town, near the intersection of two major roads and between two highway exits. It will also depend on where Rosina's preschool is. Apparently I need to get working on that! O_o

I did actually get to my dancing today!  The opening to the new choreo is cute and fairly simple--and the song is already stuck in my head. 

We are having a friend over for dinner on Saturday, and with us being sick for so long, the house is a WRECK. All the bathrooms, all the floors. Yuck. I will be scrubbing tile and sweeping tomorrow, I'll tell you. Have I mentioned my gold-leaf bathroom?


Yup. That is a dragonfly decal. Everything above the chair rail is gold leaf and painted lilypads; below it is painted blue, with koi and turtle decals. How do you remove gold leaf from a wall? I'm sure that never crossed the mind of the previous owners of this house, who went a bit overboard with some of the "artistic" touches. There's also some really fantastic amateur plumbing work. Oh, and they cost themselves thousands of dollars of crawlspace mold abatement by not installing twenty dollars of plastic gutter extenders. They were not the sharpest pencils in the box, just sayin'...

Serious topic for discussion:  my daughter will be three in five weeks, and still has never heard of a Disney Princess.  I am perfectly happy to keep it that way for as long as possible. We are not Disney people in general, though we have shown her the two Rescuers movies and some Winnie-the-Pooh. She has seen plenty of television, but it is definitely more of the PBS-educational-gender-neutral variety. Mark is going to a movie festival on Friday, and since my cousin is coming to babysit next week for our anniversary anyway, I'll be alone with Rosina. The Big Question: should I take her to see Frozen??  From all I've heard, this and Brave are both in the self-rescuing-princess mode, which I can totally get behind. And if she can handle the fairly harrowing elements in the Rescuers movies, she should be okay here. I just worry that this will open the Big Merch floodgates. She's already into superheroes--she likes watching Wonder Woman, and last weekend at the playground followed this kid with a Batman cape around like a puppy dog--so maybe I don't necessarily need to worry about things being less empowering. Ugh, I just don't want to go to that place any sooner than necessary. But I do think she might like the movie, and the music. I need to do more research...

2 comments:

Renee Anne said...

She will like the movie....and then she'll want all the things. Little Man has not seen it and I really don't want him to. He's not much of a Disney guy either, other than all the Pixar movies. And Winnie the Pooh. He's more into Doctor Who...

So, she will like the movie. I've not yet met a kid that has seen it that hasn't liked it. But they want all the things.....and they don't stop singing the songs.

Jennifer said...

I don't even like Idina Menzel, and I'm singing that song... ;)