Thursday, August 1

Things I've been doing instead of blogging

*Rosina picked up a cold sometime around July 4th, and she so kindly gave it to me. Oh, and I had my period at the same time, lucky me. It's been three weeks, and I'm still not quite back to normal yet. 

*Marathon-watching Murder, She Wrote. Corny as that sounds, the show was well-made and holds up (with the occasional snicker-worthy Cold War episode--and the clothes are pretty silly). The guest stars are always great, too: one episode I saw the other day guest-starred Norman Lloyd (still kicking at 98!!!), Gordon Jump (sadly late), and a very young John de Lancie (!) as a preppie art thief. 

*Growing more cucumbers than we can eat. 


That is an enormous cucumber. I don't know why she wanted to smell it, but it's probably my fault for having her sniff the (unlit) scented candles. I'm glad I got a photo of this dress: I made it last winter out of one of my tops that never fit right. 

*Finished a few baby projects (including the big one). I started a pair of socks a few weeks ago, but I haven't worked on them much recently. Over the past few days I've picked up my February Fitted sweater again. I do think it will fit, and I should have some yarn to spare. It's a worsted-weight cotton blend, and I'll need to wear a camisole under it, so I certainly don't see myself wearing it until at least September.  After tonight it will go back on hold for a bit, as I'm collecting the last few squares for the group baby blanket I'll be assembling. Given what I have already and what I'm expecting to get tonight, I expect to have to make a few more squares to make the color plan work out. 

*Several sewing jaunts, including making pillowcase dresses for my nieces (and one for Rosina for next year), some mending projects and adding padding to some very tiny underwear. Whenever this kid decides she's not afraid of the potty (ugh, make it soon!), we will be well prepared for potty training!

*Read the last Sookie Stackhouse book while I was sick. After more than a dozen books, it was bound to be fairly anticlimactic, but I think it ended in a satisfying way (at least for my ship camp!). 

*Guess I never mentioned my car drama. My front headlights went out one Thursday driving home from Panera, and my inspection was due!  It wasn't such an easy fix, either: I needed a new headlight switch (the one on the steering wheel), and the part needed to be ordered. My father helped Mark install it when they were down several weeks ago, and I was able to get the car inspected and renew the registration with only a day or two's lapse. With a 22-year-old car, what will be the next thing to break?  The engine has always worked just fine, despite the car's deplorable gas mileage, but it really is only a matter of time. We definitely want another car--and sooner, not later--but with me only working ten hours a week, we really don't want to have a payment. We're hoping to buy a used car with cash, but for some reason it's super important to Mark to have a bigger vehicle so we can carry big things. Granted, my Camry's enormous trunk has come in handy, but I'd rather just get another Corolla that Mark can commute with (I'd take his Corolla most of the time, to give the odometer a rest). Now he's all interested in this diesel  Volkswagen Jetta station wagon, when they only started making them a few years ago and even the used ones cost  twenty grand (significantly more than we wanted to pay). Anyway, we are still in negotiations. 

*There has been some crazy shit going on with my day job--huge changes coming, aggravating mistakes made by negligent parties in other countries that now I have to clean up--and it looks like I may just be able to go to our annual meeting in California in October. It would be a long three days, but it would be the first time in over two years that I'd be completely free of baby responsibilities. That and I'd net at least an extra $500 that week. Mark would take off a few days to take care of Rosina--which he would not mind, since it's not what he does every single day. I should know for sure within the next few days. 


No comments: