Woo hoo!
The list finally went up, and I got what I wanted...We're doing Cosi, and I'm Fiordiligi (it's double-cast, which is also good because I won't get too tired). I was so worried that I'd screwed the whole thing up by offering that aria. Maybe it turned out to be a good move. Maybe it had nothing to do with it. I choose not to ponder that too much. All I know is, I'm in! I finally have a lead role. And I'm so excited. If I weren't so vocally exhausted, I would sing with joy.
There is a downside to this...a good friend of mine, with a great voice, was once again not cast. Plenty of people younger and less talented than her got parts. At least give her a solo or something! Nothing. The director has been stringing her along for over a year, giving her private coachings on arias and seemingly very interested in her development, but all for nothing. And she is in this quartet in Little Women, but he cast her in a voice part that's way too low for her to sing well. Does he even listen at all at auditions? I don't know what the hell is up with him. I don't think she knows yet. Her boyfriend does, and he is mighty pissed about the whole thing. I'm distressed about this.
So I'm happy--overjoyed--at being cast, but this bothers me. (That, and the girl I'm double-cast with really wanted the lead in the other opera, even though she could never pull it off dramatically, and was crying about it--she's completely clueless...) But now I have other things to worry about--apparently I'm the only person who hasn't scheduled their recital yet, and all the good slots are taken. I'm hoping for the last Sunday afternoon in March, if my teacher and accompanist can do it and it's not already taken. So much stress over stupid little things!
Anyway, I have a bunch of work to do... Just wanted to spread the good news!
No comments:
Post a Comment