The opera was a real success, and my teacher was pleased with my performance. And she apparently brought along a friend for whom I happen to be auditioning for next week, who thought my voice was "interesting". (That's a good thing, in this case.) Most importantly, I had a great time doing it. Though I'm glad to get a break from performing for a while--even if it's only to do auditions and juries and learn the music for the next show...
It's all a little overwhelming. I mean, I'm excited, but lately I feel like my career has a life of its own, and it's taking off ahead of me. I was having technical problems at the beginning of the month--partly because of that f*@&ing Handel concert and partly because I was working on this aria that I ended up ditching because it's just not right for me--and they seem to have corrected themselves. I've just been given my first Wagner aria to work on. All I ever thought about Wagner was that I couldn't sing it yet. I guess "yet" is over... I really need to learn this aria in time for the Met competition in January--guess what I'll be doing over winter break? Anyway, I guess it's just weird to have ten-plus years of voice lessons finally pay off for me (though only figuratively, as of yet). At least I have Mark to keep me grounded. :)
Speaking of which, I'm still noticing that I have mildly inappropriate feelings for that person. It's especially ironic considering that this person and I have discussed at length how revolting and disrespectful it was that two of the cast members--one engaged, one in a serious relationship--would all but make out backstage, and are inseparable offstage. It's totally disgusting the way they hang all over each other--and the man involved is really nice, so it's shocking that he would behave this way. (And what do you know, both of them are in COSI. That should be interesting...) I think that cheating is unforgiveable, and that basically you shouldn't do anything with a person you're attracted to that you couldn't do with them in front of your spouse. You need to have that trust. It's so important. Maybe that's why I've felt bad about having these weird feelings. Mark met this person this weekend at the post-premiere cocktail party (I wasn't there--I had to wash all the grey out of my hair, which took a while), and they liked each other. I told Mark later that this guy would be the person I'd date if we were both single. (I believe the words were, "I must tell you, if I were single, and he were single, I'd be all up on that..." He just snickered a little bit and gave me a hug. He knows he has nothing to fear. And he doesn't. I'd like to get to know the guy better--hopefully that will dispel any misplaced feelings--and maybe we can even double-date. Part of the problem, I think, is that I rarely come across someone I find attractive on the outside AND the inside. It's easy to find outwardly sexy people, but the latter doesn't happen very often.
Anyway, I'm off to Raleigh this evening for a relaxing holiday. There's a new baby to see, and a newly pregnant friend to buy stuff for. :) Happy Thanksgiving!
No comments:
Post a Comment