Friday, January 16

And because I'm such a copycatter (and I have some down time), I will also complete fair Helen's movie meme (with the ones I've seen in bold):

1 Godfather, The (1972)
2 Shawshank Redemption, The (1994) (I wouldn't have ranked it so high, but whatever)
3 Godfather: Part II, The (1974)
4 Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, The (2003)
5 Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, The (2002)
6 Casablanca (1942)
7 Schindler's List (1993)
8 Shichinin no samurai (1954) (Is that Seven Samurai? If so, I think so.)
9 Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The (2001) (Why is this below The Two Towers?!)
10 Citizen Kane (1941) (Mark's favorite!)
11 Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope (1977)
12 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) (I read the book!)
13 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) (Thank you, Chuck La-rock-ya-like-a-hurricane!)
14 Rear Window (1954)
15 Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980) (the first movie I ever saw in a theater!)
16 Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
17 Memento (2000)
18 Usual Suspects, The (1995)
19 Pulp Fiction (1994) (wrote a paper about this and #60)
20 North by Northwest (1959)
21 Fabuleux destin d'Amelie Poulain, Le (2001) (who could not love this movie?!)
22 Psycho (1960)
23 12 Angry Men (1957)
24 Lawrence of Arabia (1962) (Mark has tried, but I have resisted!)
25 Silence of the Lambs, The (1991)
26 Buono, il brutto, il cattivo, Il (1966) (Ah, spaghetti westerns!)
27 It's a Wonderful Life (1946) (my father's favorite)
28 Goodfellas (1990)
29 American Beauty (1999)
30 Vertigo (1958)
31 Sunset Blvd. (1950)
32 Pianist, The (2002)
33 Matrix, The (1999) (hence the opera, I suppose...)
34 Apocalypse Now (1979)
35 To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)
36 Some Like It Hot (1959)
37 Taxi Driver (1976)
38 Paths of Glory (1957) (Mark and I were just talking about this one)
39 Third Man, The (1949)
40 C'era una volta il West (1968) (parts, maybe?)
41 Fight Club (1999) (first rule)
42 Boot, Das (1981)
43 Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi (2001)
44 Double Indemnity (1944)
45 L.A. Confidential (1997)
46 Chinatown (1974)
47 Singin' in the Rain (1952)
48 Requiem for a Dream (2000)
49 Maltese Falcon, The (1941)
50 M (1931)
51 All About Eve (1950)
52 Bridge on the River Kwai, The (1957) (forced by Mark)
53 Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) (ni!)
54 Se7en (1995) (unpleasant)
55 Saving Private Ryan (1998) (unpleasant but important)
56 Cidade de Deus (2002)
57 Raging Bull (1980)
58 Wizard of Oz, The (1939)
59 Rashomon (1950)
60 Sting, The (1973)
61 American History X (1998) (wow)
62 Alien (1979)
63 Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)
64 Leon (The Professional) (1994)
65 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
66 Vita e bella, La (1997) (I love this movie!)
67 Touch of Evil (1958) (who could resist Charlton Heston as a Mexican?!)
68 Manchurian Candidate, The (1962)
69 Wo hu cang long (2000) (if it really is Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon)
70 Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The (1948)
71 Great Escape, The (1963)
72 Clockwork Orange, A (1971) (never again)
73 Reservoir Dogs (1992)
74 Annie Hall (1977)
75 Amadeus (1984) (hahahahahahahahahahahaha!)
76 Jaws (1975)
77 Ran (1985)
78 On the Waterfront (1954)
79 Modern Times (1936)
80 High Noon (1952)
81 Braveheart (1995)
82 Apartment, The (1960)
83 Sixth Sense, The (1999)
84 Fargo (1996)
85 Aliens (1986)
86 Shining, The (1980) (SOOO scary)
87 Blade Runner (1982)
88 Strangers on a Train (1951)
89 Duck Soup (1933)
90 Metropolis (1927)
91 Finding Nemo (2003)
92 Donnie Darko (2001)
93 Toy Story 2 (1999)
94 Princess Bride, The (1987)
95 General, The (1927)
96 City Lights (1931)
97 Lola rennt (1998)
98 Full Metal Jacket (1987)
99 Notorious (1946) (maybe?)
100 Sjunde inseglet, Det (1957)
101 Godfather: Part III, The (1990) (yuck)

And submitted for your approval:

102 Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989). It's just really good. I mean, Harrison Ford, Sean Connery, guys getting run over by tanks, a cameo by Hitler, an 800-year-old man and sex on the floor (with Indiana Jones!) in Venice! What else do you need?
103 Being There (1979). Peter Sellers in an eerily vivid impersonation of George W. Bush. Naw, just kidding. But this is a must-see.
104 Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997). Pardon me for loving this movie--and its sequels--way too much. And if you can't take that, try Casino Royale (1966?), also with Peter Sellers (and Woody Allen!).

I watched a lot of those in school. My mother's three favorite movies are, alas, not included: The Thornbirds, Somewhere in Time (with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour--sappy time-traveling) and Pretty Woman. I guess there was a ban on TV movies--and Julia Roberts, come to think of it... And there's a bunch of things there that I really ought to have seen--Taxi Driver, Raging Bull (Bobby DeNiro, ooh), The Pianist. I guess most of these are on cable...






No comments: