Monday, January 21

Five (okay, six) moment memoir #1

Oh, blog. I have neglected you for so long. I genuinely thought I didn't have enough time for blogging--but when I see the other ways I fritter away my time, it makes me wonder. Anyway, I read this piece in O magazine (thanks again, Helen!) about one writer's idea for a "five-moment memoir", in which only five points are listed, and I thought that might be a good way to get back into things. Since it's been more than a year, I know an update would take forever, and hopefully this will just help me skip over all that. So welcome to the mundanity that is my life.

*Got to sleep in today! Dragging my ass out of bed at seven every morning is manageable, but rather unpleasant. I know I should be all thoughtful about Martin Luther King, and believe me, I am, but I am also grateful to get an extra two hours of sleep.

*In old-lady-in-the-supermarket news, a retired NICU nurse stopped us today in Target. They're always so happy to see the tiny ones doing so well. In other Target news, I bought some vanilla Gud body butter for half off--score!

*Heard "Silent Lucidity" on the radio. Wondered how Queensryche was always grouped in with the grunge bands, when they are clearly straight-up prog. Seriously, you could tell me that song was by Yes, or even Pink Floyd (doesn't it sound like "On the Turning Away"?), and I might believe you.

*Caught most of Obama's speech today. I thought I wouldn't miss much after our errand, but they must've been running really early. Civil rights were in focus for obvious reasons, but I can't help but think of GWB's "I'm the decider" BS. Repeatedly bringing up gay rights would certainly rile the conservative dipwads...

*Slight update: my new niece was born Friday! Elizabeth Anne looks like a little grumpy Sicilian woman, just like her sister Charlotte did. They should come home from the hospital tonight. Rosina was very excited to see pictures of her, particularly since she is currently obsessed with babies. "Baby" is probably her favorite word at the moment.

*Just read The Passage by Justin Cronin. There are obvious comparisons with The Stand, and his style is similar to Stephen King's, which could explain why I found it so hard to put down. Oh, and there are nasty psychic superhuman semi-vampires, and epic doomed-to-fail journeys across wastelands, and of course The End Of The World, which, if you know me, you know is my favorite book topic ever. If a novel includes a decimated population scavenging for unspoiled canned food in long-abandoned supermarkets, I have probably read it.

And that was six moments! More tomorrow, if I can get my ass in gear. Maybe even more pictures... This one is from Thanksgiving--enjoy.

No comments: