Monday, November 4

The cast lists for the spring operas were posted Friday evening. I will be in the ensemble for Nicolai's The Merry Wives of Windsor. It was what I was expecting--as I've mentioned, I wasn't expecting a lead role in anything, and really want to work on technical stuff before I have some big part and ruin my voice. So I was generally just "happy to be nominated". Genuinely. I mean, if I did score some big part, I would have been happy--but extremely surprised. But there are people who are not so easygoing as myself about it. There are three people in particular--one of which has threatened to transfer, apparently--who believe they have been done a great disservice. I've been trying really hard not to get involved in the Politics (with a capital P) that inevitably go on in every college department and every office in the country--but it's difficult to escape its effects. Everybody has an opinion, and I'm just trying to stay out of it. I know I'll have a good time in the ensemble--I may even get to be anthropomorphic, which has always been my dream--and there will probably be chances for solos or something. Either way. I will admit, though, that part of the reason I'm cool about this is that I'm biding my time. Just wait 'till next year! I will blow you all away!! I will kick vocal ass, and you will have no choice but to select an opera on my whims. :)

In other news: This weekend Mark and I saw The Comedian, that documentary that follows around Jerry Seinfeld. I thought it was really interesting--it gives insight into what makes a stand-up comedian tick. I was able to make comparisons between comedians and singers. And it was funny, of course. I still haven't seen The Ring, but maybe next weekend. Oh, and this afternoon at 3pm I am going over to the counseling center for my second meeting. I hope we'll be able to make some determination of what combination of therapy/meds/frontal lobotomy I really need. All I know is, something isn't right. I don't feel normal. There's nothing normal about consuming mass quantities of candy when you are not hungry. I just let it out on the phone with Mark on Thursday night (after my little crying jag in Op Shop)--and while that helped short-term, it doesn't make this go away.

Oh--and speaking of the crying, people keep coming up to me and asking if I'm doing okay. Yes, damn it! (As far as they're concerned, anyway.) I don't think I look like there's anything wrong on a regular basis (i.e. when I'm not losing it in the middle of an aria). Maybe they're just being nice. I bet I would probably do the same thing, were it someone else. But it's still weird. Maybe because what I really want to say is, "No, I am not okay, but what the hell can you do about it?" I guess I have a lot to talk about this afternoon...

Current music: "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" (the Aretha Franklin version)

No comments: