Friday, April 5

Birthday hijinks

*Last night Mark and my Panera knitting group threw me a surprise birthday party! They were all so incredibly sneaky about it. :)  My parents also helped by taking Rosina and me (and my cousin) out to dinner--but to Zoe's Kitchen, not one of the more-elaborate places I suggested, otherwise we'd miss the party! Anyway, it was really great, and I'm very gratified.

*Wednesday had its highs and lows. Bright spots included Rosina actually peeing in the potty--though now she seems to be afraid of it!--and getting to A.C. Moore to discover the whole store was 25% off! Low spots included screaming at Mark for no reason again, and getting kicked in the neck twice during one diaper change. Actually, I think the former was caused by the latter. Spending all day with an almost-two-year-old can be a trying--and potentially injurious--experience.

*After the A.C. Moore trip, I was able to finish the bind-off on the cutest baby sweater ever, and also complete my button-initial project. I made two, assuming that I could work out the kinks by making Rosina's first, but hers actually looks better than the one I made for Elizabeth. I think it's just because the cursive capital E I thought would be the easiest to replicate in buttons was kind of boring. I probably should've used a non-cursive serif capital E--or even a lowercase E. Well, I guess Rosina's is the one I have to look at every day, and I do like it quite a bit. We really need to hang some things on her wall.

*Most offensive bumper sticker of the week: "A million people went to Obama's inauguration--and only fourteen missed work." Definitely classist, probably intended to be racist, and just pretty bitchy. And the car had a Mary Kay bumper sticker, too! Do the Mary Kay people know that one of their salespeople is possibly a big ol' racist? They feature women of various ethnicities in their catalogs, so I know they wouldn't want to offend like, entire swaths of the country. I thought I would get the license number, but it went by too fast...

*Birthday breakfast: my mother's French toast. I also got the treat of actually taking a shower in the morning--and it was longer than five minutes, to boot! Thanks, Mom and Dad, for letting me bathe. ;)

*We are still trying to make up the sleep loss from last weekend! Hopefully that can be accomplished over this weekend. We really don't have any solid plans. Mark wants to paint the (not large) railing for the front steps, which is doable, and build a raised garden bed, which is less likely. It will be a beautiful weekend! It just may be that spring has finally arrived. It's supposed to be 80 degrees on Wednesday!

*Rosina highlights today: saying "blanket" and "Charlotte" (her cousin's name), wearing a partially balled-up pair of tights on her head (it looked like a very regal turban), waving and saying "bye-bye" to me outside while standing at the bottom of the stairs (no idea where she was planning on going). Still fighting the diaper changes tooth-and-nail.

*Birthday dinner: I had a really good birthday coupon for a local restaurant, so we really couldn't resist. We've been there twice before, I think, but we always liked two of the company's other restaurants (both now closed, dumbasses) better; it's maybe trying a little too hard to be eclectic? Anyway, I had lobster mac & cheese, and it was very rich but not really my thing, honestly. Is it weird to think that it needed basil, or sundried tomatoes, or hot sauce? It was missing a zip. Mark got tilapia, which he liked--but Rosina ended up eating most of his spicy black bean-corn salad! Who knows what this kid will like? Last night it was sautéed mushrooms from my father's sandwich... though he is her favorite person, which may have had something to do with that.

*So my brother is selling his house, too! They put an incredible amount of work into that house, which was built by my sister-in-law's grandfather, and basically hadn't been updated ever until they bought it in 2009. The difference in price between it and my parents' house is kind of mind-boggling, but that's what happens when you live in Westchester...

No comments: