Friday, December 20

In which I list Christmas carols

My favorites to sing:
O Holy Night (because it's every classical singer's favorite.  Big sopranos, for the love of God, please do not sing this in E-flat just because you think you can. Unless you are Leontyne Price or Jessye Norman, nobody wants to hear that!)
O Little Town of Bethlehem
Deck the Halls
Silent Night (probably most singers' second choice)
Joy to the World
O Come Emmanuel 
Away In a Manger (with the good melody)
In the Bleak Midwinter (again, with the good melody)
Merry Christmas, Darling
Do You Hear What I Hear?

My favorites to listen to:
Anything by Elvis (except Here Comes Santa Claus, and I can almost like that)
Anything by Judy Garland
Any of the Alfred Burt carols, except Some Children See Him (awkward but well-meant racial stuff)
Sleigh Ride (the instrumental!)
Most Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, Tony Bennett
I Heard the Bells On Christmas Day
Happy Christmas/War Is Over
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Dean Martin version

Rosina's favorites:
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
Silent Night
Santa Claus Is Coming to Town

Frenemies:
Do They Know It's Christmas? (so corny and also problematic)
All I Want for Christmas Is You (hook-laden but overrated and WAY overplayed)
Santa Baby (though I kinda like the Macy Gray version)
This Christmas (as previously mentioned, only Donny Hathaway is allowed to sing this)
The Little Drummer Boy
Last Christmas
Dominic the Donkey
Easy on the Johnny Mathis, Ray Conniff Singers, Perry Como, Andy Williams...

DO NOT WANT:
Here Comes Santa Claus
The Most Wonderful Time of the Year
Anything Amy Grant, LeAnn Rimes, Debbie Gibson, etc.
OMG, Carol of the Fucking Bells
Happy Holidays
Up On the Housetop
Simply Havin' A Wonderful Christmastime  (I have abandoned giving Paul McCartney the benefit of the doubt)
How did I almost forget Silver Bells?!


No comments: