*Mother's Day is not really a thing for me--I mean, I call my mother and grandmother, but it doesn't seem like it applies to me personally, with Rosina's birthday always the same week. (And every five years or so her birthday will be ON Mother's Day.) I'm even tempted to think of it as a Hallmark Holiday, but then Mark reminds me that his mother was a florist, and Mother's Day paid a lot of bills! I guess I'm okay with it, then. :) It was just a typical Sunday for us, with the added bonus of a free meal at PDQ.
*Mark did a lot of work around the house this weekend, for which I am grateful. He even unstuck the painted-over kitchen window, so now it opens! We still want to build a raised bed for vegetables, but won't be able to do it until next Sunday--so the seedlings I bought are still in their tiny containers. The yellow squash is getting grumpy about it!
*We went to the county library sale on Saturday. I picked up a few records for myself and some ex-libris board books for Rosina, and Mark found some interesting things. You'd think I'd know better by now than to bother with the crafts section--it's all interior decorating and gardening books, with the occasional hideous pattern leaflet. There's usually fun to be had in the science fiction section, but I wasted all my time in the stupid crafts section...
*I spent a good amount of time yesterday with the new-to-me sewing machine: a circa-1984 Singer 6212 that my mother's friend gave her years ago. Everything works just fine, though threading the machine is kind of complicated, and threading the needle is a huge bitch because there's no way to get a threader in there. I guess I was spoiled by my crappy plastic Brother from Walmart... Mark has three new pairs of pants that need to be hemmed (who makes 32" inseam pants with a 36" inseam?! Is the tag an estimate? Seriously, one pair was five inches too long), and because the sewing table is in our bedroom--not a very Rosina-friendly place--I spent last night doing all the prep work (measuring, pinning, measuring, ironing, cutting, re-pinning, ironing) so I can do the actual machine work this afternoon during Rosina's nap.
*Working my way through The Twelve, where some crazy stuff is going down. It is hard to stop at the ends of chapters!
*We are mostly ready for Rosina's party now; we'll need to pick up the fresh food the night before, but otherwise I think we have everything. My mother did find a flight in the end (she was contemplating driving down from New York for one day!), so Mark will pick her up at the airport Friday afternoon. I should start cleaning now...
No comments:
Post a Comment