Thursday, March 7

Do-over!

*Actually a light at the end of the tunnel in the domain transfer situation. I finally made the appropriate (but still professional) amount of stink to the right person in customer service, and suddenly people started giving me the information that I needed. The page is still down--it's been a whole week now--and I think there's some sort of waiting period before the domain can actually be transferred--and THEN I can start designing the new pages. I will at least put up a quick "under construction" page as soon as I can.

*I spent a decent amount of time plying about 100 grams of yarn over the last two days, only to realize that I had plied it in the wrong direction! Even though I had to do it again, it was much easier to ply in the right direction (and it looks and feels so much better!). I just started a second pair of singles, just to be sure that I would get it right when I picked it up in the morning. I also figured out an easier way to hank the plied yarn so I can wash and measure it: I set up a ghetto lazy Kate by putting my spindle in a small box, and wound the yarn right onto my swift! And here I was thinking I needed to make a niddy-noddy. I used to have an old 2x2 with two nails that I would wrap my recycled yarn on, but it was a huge pain in the ass, and I think I got rid of it a while ago.

*Realization: rough-drying my hair produces the same results as blowing it straight, only it takes way less time and doesn't hurt my wrists or give me huge knots. Win!

*Realization #2: Bimonthly M&M consumption time is over. You can tell it's over when you actually want a salad instead of dark chocolate-covered pretzels. Now I just have to take Aleve for a few days, and everything will be back to normal soon.

*Heard "Fat Bottomed Girls" on the radio on my way to S&B. Wondered why I can accept sexism and objectification in a Queen song, but not so much in an equally objectionable Led Zeppelin song ("Livin' Lovin' Maid" comes to mind; for the last while I've been changing the station when it comes on). Is it because I've finally grown out of my high school Zeppelin obsession? Or because Freddie Mercury is just that awesome? But I basically grew up hearing the Queen song, and only heard the other as a teenager. Also, I'm pretty okay with "Brick House". So is objectification okay if it's complimentary, and biased toward the more voluptuous among us?? Because I'm not okay with "Cherry Pie", either (granted, that's almost a novelty song). Hmm, I have to think about this!

No comments: