Friday, March 1

When the world never seems to be livin' up to your dreams

*Did manage to score some pajamas (and some short sets that will pass as such) at the consignment sale, along with two pairs of shoes (had to settle for white Mary Janes) and a Fisher-Price corn popper that Rosina fell in love with (perfect combination of running around + making noise), all for under $25.  Not bad! I feel weird about the shoes sometimes, but I only pick up very gently-used ones--plus she only wears a size 5, and most kids are still just learning to walk in that size shoe, so they really don't get a lot of wear.  The sale was significantly smaller than the one we went to this time last year, which was on the other side of town but took up about half of a nearly-vacant indoor outlet mall.  (It has since been converted to a Chinese mega-supermarket, but last I heard they're still having that sale there.)

*First day of my editor being incommunicado for two months.  One of our board members--who coincidentally lives right here, and works at Duke--is filling in for him, but it may take a bit for him to get the hang of things. I wonder if he will actually take me up on my offer of calling me if he has any problems... I still have to stuff all those envelopes, but we have a rare free weekend, and I'm sure I'll find the time.

*Bad news:  my newborn niece had a fever yesterday afternoon, so she was checked into the hospital to make sure it's nothing more serious than a virus.  Unfortunately, this meant she had to have a SPINAL TAP. I've watched Rosina have a feeding tube reinserted through her nose, and heard her scream her teeny five-pound lungs out while they did an ROP exam in the next room (they have to pin their arms down--she was never a fan of swaddling, even--and shine bright lights in their eyes, which sounds like my worst nightmare, honestly), but I have never had to witness my child have such an unpleasant procedure.  My mother implied that we might know what they're going through, but Mark and I agree that we really don't:  however much it hurt to leave Rosina every day, it was quite clear that the hospital was where she belonged.  An otherwise-healthy 11-pound six-week-old does NOT.  Anyway, she is apparently doing fine, aside from some congestion, and will probably be home over the weekend sometime.  My parents were already planning to drive to New York this weekend, but they left a day early to help take care of Charlotte.  Jeff has to work tomorrow, even (some shutdown procedure/confined space certification thing, I have no idea), and Lauren has been with Elizabeth in isolation at the hospital.  Ugh, it really sucks.  I know we'll all be so relieved when she's home.

*Good news:  well, I did hear some very good news from a friend today, but I can't tell!  There will surely be updates about this eventually--stay tuned.

*I don't have an absolutely official number, since I didn't write down my exact weight on January 1, but I believe I am down between nine and ten pounds since then--so pretty much my pre-pregnancy weight.  I can't quite tell a difference yet; I do have a few pairs of pants that are larger than the others (because of cut differences, or because they were on sale!), and they might fit more loosely, but it's hard to really know at this point.  I have a baby tummy that I didn't used to have, and went up I think a cup size and half a band size, so everything fits a little differently than it did pre-pregnancy.  I suppose I should be happy that the clothes fit at all--oh, except that twelve days post-partum I was 15 pounds lighter than I even am now.  Thanks, preeclampsia! (Cue sad trombone.)  Hopefully I did not blow all this by getting Mexican tonight.  I should probably not weigh myself for a few days...

No comments: