Thursday, February 28

Embarrassing Revelations Night

*Heard "Straight Up" just now on my way home from Panera! It unleashed an often-suppressed memory of singing it at Great Adventure when I was thirteen, at their proto-karaoke "Great American Recording Studio". I probably still have that tape somewhere. If so, it probably should be destroyed. I used that booth another time with my aunt, and we sang "Save the Best for Last" and "I Will Survive". I'm pretty sure I still have that as well...

*Underrated bands: ELO, Thin Lizzy, Scorpions. Overrated bands: Coldplay, Smashing Pumpkins, Bad Company. Discuss!

*Had a nice visit to the office today, where I picked up the large print job. Only one of my coworkers has grandchildren (though another has a pregnant daughter), and they're four hours away, so an office visit from the resident toddler is always appreciated. Plan is to drop off the envelopes Monday morning, then lunch/ yarn shopping with A. and the very cuddly L. I think L. is actually taller than Rosina now--though that should surprise no one.

*I signed up for web hosting with GoDaddy. It's only a year contract, so if they stink I can change again. Unfortunately the Costco deal doesn't apply to domain transfers, so I wasn't able to do that--but they were having a sale, and I think it adds up to about the same amount. I was able to cancel my account with WebHostingPad (awful) today as well; I had to do it now because it needed to be done at least two days before the bill came due (Tuesday), but they were pretty quick about it, and at the moment I have no website! Kind of discouraging--but considering it was down for months, thanks to serious customer service fail, at least I have actually been informed this time...

*Heading out to a local kids' consignment sale tomorrow, I think. Everything's 50% off on Saturday, but Mark doesn't want to go, so Friday it is. I'm only really looking for summer pajamas and shorts--and truthfully, I can sew knit shorts (when my mother gives me her spare machine, anyway), and can probably get away with bodysuits again this summer for pajamas, so if I don't find anything it won't be tragic. I'd also like to find a pair of Mary Janes in a size 5, but I can't hold my breath about shoes...

3 comments:

Cathy said...

I bet even at 13, your "Straight Up" was *still* the best thing ever produced in the Great American Recording Studio!

And on first read I thought your bit about clothes said, "I can knit shorts" and I was briefly picturing Rosina running around this summer in little sweater-shorts. :)

Jennifer said...

No, seriously, it was horrendous. There was no way of knowing what vocal lines were going to be included in the backup singing, so I think I tried to sing everything. Also, imagine me singing this in like, pink madras shorts and a perm and tinted dewdrops. [shudder]

Believe it or not, some cloth-diaperers do put their kids in knitted or felted lanolized wool soakers or shorts in the summer--it apparently breathes better than the polyurethane laminate diapers/covers that probably the majority of cloth-diapered kids wear, and it is certainly better than a disposable. We've used a wool cover once in a while, but with a kid as skinny as this one, velcro is your friend.

Jennifer said...

Oh, or maybe I was wearing a madras short-jumpsuit. I know I owned one at the time--I even have photographic evidence!